Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Moldy Top?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 02:59 AM   #21
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

If that was on monday june 4th, then it could be a mini kraesen from the yeast eating up the priming sugar.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2007, 01:26 AM   #22
texas red
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Sad news....opened one tonight. It didn't gush, but it did smell really bad. I'm afraid it's a goner....what a bummer. Sigh. Oh well, no use cryin' over spilt beer....
The question now is; what do you think about reusing the bottles? Do they need to be recycled and start over? What kind of cleaning\sanitation chemical(s) should I use next time? For the last 8 years I have used nothing but b-brite, but the home brew guys at the shop are saying I should use something called "one-step". That b-brite is just for cleaning but does nothing for sanitizing. Charlie's book says use a bleach\water solution for everything, but I think that might take a lot of water to rinse and even then, might not rinse thoroughly enough. What do ya'll think?

Old 06-09-2007, 01:38 AM   #23
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

I use oxy clean to clean and sulfite to sanitise.

What di dit smell like? Did it taste bad too?

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:24 AM   #24
texas red
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

It smelled foul maybe a little sulphurous. Almost as bad as a school bus on a hot day. There was no way I was willing to taste it, and that's saying a lot, because the smell was so bad. The slightest flexing of the bottle cap, and a wisp of air camp out, after just being bottle since Monday. One did try to gush. It's too late though, every last one has been emptied....The plan is start over Sunday.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:42 AM   #25
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Hmm.. to bad you didn't taste it. that would have helped us trouble shoot the problem.

Never heard of sulfery smells from an infection. At least not that I can remember.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #26
HighGravity
Recipes 

Default DIDN'T WANT TO START A NEW THREAD - So.....MOLD

I read a lot here on HBT that you should just give it time, but not really specific ideas. I too have my first long-term moldy batch, the other batches have had white mold appear but this is a bit of a longer problem.

I made an IPA one month ago in an open fermentor, transferred it to a carboy after a week and its been sitting in there ever since. BC I was out of town I didnt have time to clean my primary buckets, but simply stacked them in the same closet as the carboys without cleaning the hops/junk at the bottom of the fermentor....I could smell it reeking for the last two weeks, but I forgot that my IPA carboy had a wrong sized bung over it. I had stretched a plastic bag (formerly whole hop bag) over the top and made a small hole in the centre, then simply sat the too big bung complete w/airlock over that.

Anyways the mold is holding steady at about a 1-2 inch wide ring where the top of the wort sits and I would like to bottle. Can someone suggest if I should go out and buy a proper bung and let it sit 2 months, should I bottle it tomorrow and just try to avoid the mold part (and let it sit in bottles for 2 months)? I've heard both advice, or even to reboil your wort and start from scratch again....can't figure which is the best course of action.

It smells normal but I haven't tasted it bc I figured it had enough exposure to air and bacteria at this point.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #27
brynerdoor
Recipes 

I have a double imperial blonde ale thats been fermenting for 4 weeks now still has a g 1.016 and looks and smells really good

Quick Reply