Moldy Lager and other issues..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AjentX

Reaction score
Alright.. I'm not sure this is the best place for this but, Lets start here,

Hello all!

I've made 3 batches of extract brew 2 of them came out without any issues! (a rye porter and holiday spiced red ale)

But this is where the issue comes in.

The last kit I had was a maibock lager

The brew day was all done the same as previously, and everything was sanitized with star san

Its been sitting in a cellar for 2 weeks and it was a little cold up here, so the yeast has all dropped out but hasn't fermented anything, and there are 2 or 3 islands of mold on top (no larger than a dime)

What I'm wondering now is this. Do I have any chance of saving this brew? I was thinking of fishing out the few islands of mold and reboiling then repitching a new pack of yeast.

Or should I call this my first failure, throw it out and soldier on?

What do you all think? I will get photos soon if that will help.

Thank you all for your help and sorry for the long post!

Have you used your hydrometer to verify that the specific gravity is the same as when you started? Don't do anything more until you do this simple test.

I did do a hydrometer test and yes the wert is still at the same OG as when I pitched.

I will try to get a photo posted today so you can all see what the mold looks like.

I am just finishing up on a Helles Lager that I have brewed often. The problem with Lager Yeast is that you need a lot of strong viable yeast. Otherwise, it will stall right out of the gate and bacteria will overpower the wort before the yeast can gain some motion. In my recipe I used 3/4 gallon starter using a stir plate with two vials of good healthy yeast. It still took a while to start up.

You have to be aware that yeast are sensitive. Shipping, storage and temperature changes can kill the poor little critters. You may have a bad batch of yeast that couldn't do the job, which gave the bacteria an opportunity to feast on your sugary wort. Also, keep in mind, you have to have some very sanitary equipment to keep out as much bacteria as possible. Check out my recipe and brewing process:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f61/hellofa-beer-bock-maibock-hellesbock-349923/

At this point it's ruined if that growth is really bacteria. The Helles/Maibock is a light beer and any errors made during the brewing and fermentation will show up in a big way. That's very apparent with mold growth and no startup in fermentation.

PS: That said: Are you sure that the mold growth isn't just fermentation? Put up some close up pics so everyone can see it. I wouldn't worry about the gravity readings just yet, it's a very slow process and takes a lot of patience, unlike an Ale.

Try Again, Cheers

I'll have to wait till tonight to post photos when I'll be back at my computer.

also if anyone is interested, the kit I used is northern brewers maibock kit.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/maibock-extract-kit.html

What I'm thinking from your post is, if I do reboil (to sanitize the wert and kill any bacteria and or yeast that may be left over) what if I pitch a regular ale yeast or an English strain? Just something with a little more body rather than a clean lager yeast?

And I believe it is mold, it does not look like ale fermentation at least.

thank you all again!

And the moment we've all been waiting for!

Here are the photos of the brew as it currently sits.

Again give your thoughts and advice!

V__5720.jpg

V__CA27.jpg

V__D19B.jpg

Yes, that looks like mold. Does the wort smell bad? If not, get some more lager yeast, make a big starter with it. When it is started well, sanitize a spoon and scoop out the mold, dump in the starter and hope for the best. Your alternative is to dump it.

It does smell a little off.. Also what would be the best way to make a starter without a stirplate?

My other question would be, will the yeast then kill whatever is growing in it? (that was my idea behind reboiling would be to kill it) if not then I'll at least give it a shot!

Here is a really good video showing the basics of a yeast starter. You don't need a stir plate to make a yeast starter. I have made about a dozen of them and have never used a stir plate. You just need to swirl the flask, or whatever container you are using often. The easiest and cheapest container is using a sterilized beer bottle with a stopper and airlock. That is from the Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie P.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my, that really is mold. Throw it out. Regarding yeast starters sljohnson mentioned. He's right, and it will make a significant difference. I didn't start making starters until later in my years of making beer. Although swirling does work pretty good, it won't replace a stir plate, which you can make yourself or by one for around $70. Especially when you don't have time to hang over the starter for a few days. In a recent study, a stir plate helped the yeast grow significantly more than samples without a stir plate, or with swirling. However, swirling is still much better than letting the starter sit there and do nothing, or if you don't want to shell out the cash.

Cheers,

It does smell a little off.. Also what would be the best way to make a starter without a stirplate?

My other question would be, will the yeast then kill whatever is growing in it? (that was my idea behind reboiling would be to kill it) if not then I'll at least give it a shot!

AgentX,

That mold is already giving off flavors in your beer, similar to a sour beer. If this was a dark beer you could probably reheat it and get away with it. But this is a light beer where any off flavor will show up in a big way. I know it sounds awful, but look at it as lesson learned and rebrew it again this next weekend. First get your starter going. You might have to brew the following weekend so you have time to get the starter going. You should use 2 viles/smackpack to a 3/4 gallon starter at 1.04 OG.

Good Luck,

Alright,

Thanks again guys.. sounds good..
well.. not good.. but you know,

I'll trow this one out, and not make another lager without a nice starter.

I would also ask, my last 2 batches that came out well are a little sweet, and I wonder if a starter would help with that aspect as well? (from what I understand it will)

Alright,

Thanks again guys.. sounds good..
well.. not good.. but you know,

I'll trow this one out, and not make another lager without a nice starter.

I would also ask, my last 2 batches that came out well are a little sweet, and I wonder if a starter would help with that aspect as well? (from what I understand it will)

Yes, your right. The yeast stall and can become strained if overworked giving off flavors. I had the same problem at the beginning. Consult Mr. Malty's Yeast Calculator.

Good luck on your future beers

Back