The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Midwest's Honey Steam or california Steam

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
BMURDA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Midwest's Honey Steam or california Steam

Has anyone tried these kits or have any input on how good they are?

Thanks for the help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
RatCity
Recipes 

Hey BMURDA - saw your post after doing a search. I made the regular MW steam ale and it was great. With my wine cooler fermentation chamber, I'm equipped to make ales but never lagers. So brewing a hybrid is (for now) the closest I can get.

The fermentation lasted a much longer time with lager yeast vs ale. I was able to get my fermentation chamber down to high 50s / low 60s so I think that helped it ferment all the way out. Don't know off the top of my head what the FG was but I hit the recipe numbers.

Ended with a very crisp and quaffable beer. It was so good that I ordered the Honey Steam out of curiosity - brewing that soon so I'll let you know :-). I've been reading that the honey shouldn't be more than 10% of the fermentable sugar to avoid a hooch taste, but with Midwest the ratio is 3lbs honey to 6lbs malt. So ... we'll see!

Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
profbaker11
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just finished brewing this, may be my new favorite...I had an extra pound of honey though..It is incredibly clean finishing beer...perfect for spring.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
grimstuff
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just tasted Midwest's California Steam (LME) after brewing it in March. I kept the temps down to between 52 and 62, took about 10-12 days for fermentation. It has a very pronounced hop linger at the end that makes it almost like an IPA. Which is surprising since it only uses 1 oz of Northern Brewer. So it's got me scratching my head. I think it greatly benefits from 1-2 weeks refrigeration. But it's a solid recipe and a good spring/summer drinker. OG 1.044, FG 1.012

Quick Reply