Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Midwest Sierra Nevada

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
johnsmh2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Midwest Sierra Nevada

I just got my Sierra Nevada from Midwest and plan on brewing it over the holidays. A few questions:

It says to dry hop in secondary 1/2 oz of hops. I prefer to keep my beer in the primary bucket for about 4 weeks then go straight to the keg. Will I taste much of a difference if I don't dry hop and leave out those hops? Any suggestions since I am using my secondary carboy for something else currently?

Also, I bought their alcohol boost. At what time during the boil should I add this?

And finally, does anyone have any recommendations with this recipe for those of you that have tried it before?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

You will notice a big difference if you leave them out. mostly in the smell I believe and some taste.

I don't secondary any more and dry hopped in the primary for the first time recently. I just tossed the pellets in there, no bag or anything, I figured I would just find a way to filter it when I racked to the keg later anyways. You might want to use one of those mesh tea balls or a sanitized hop bag. It should be fine to dry hop in primary though.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Oh, and when i did rack it to the keg I didn't filter it, it started to clog the racking cane a little bit but it did manage to make it through.
I've never used any alcohol boost before but I think its just basically some extra sugar so maybe at like the last 10min of the boil so it gets sanitized.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I've been dryhopping in the primary a week before I keg. In fact, I'm kegging a beer today that's been dryhopping since last Thursday. I'm pretty adept with siphon, and I have an ounce of leaf hops and a 1/2 ounce of pellets just chucked right in there!

I just rack, starting in the middle below the floating leaf hops and above the trub/dissolved pellet hops. I haven't had good luck with trying to use a bag over the racking cane, as it always clogs, but I have no problems racking.

You can dryhop in the keg if you want- just use a sanitized hop bag or one of those "tea ball" strainers. The largest tea strainer can be filled with about 1/2 ounce of leaf hops. If you're using pellets in the keg, you need a fine mesh hops bag, so you don't clog up your diptube.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
johnsmh2
Recipes 

So if I sanitize a steeping grain bag and use that it should be fine?

Old 12-23-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4455 Times on 3243 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmh2 View Post
So if I sanitize a steeping grain bag and use that it should be fine?
For the keg? Make sure it's fine mesh. For adding into the fermenter, that bag would be fine.

Quick Reply