Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Messed up Yeast Starter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 PM   #11
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Here's another good read on wheat beers, but note it's from the UK so must defer in favor of any German institute with Weihenstephan in the name!
http://www.brewlab.co.uk/pdf/whats%2...of%20wheat.pdf

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwyking
thats very interesting. so your saying that due to the low pitching level the yeast are then "stressed" and produce more esters?
That is the idea.Do the opposite of what you would do normally. But watch out, what beer yeast can produce clove and/or banana aroma depending on the fermentation temperature. I like more banana than clove, so I will see that I can keep the temperature in this range. I'm not sure what the ranges are, though.

I'm not sure how the increased level of clucose is stressing the yeast. One ide is that the yeast gets used to eating glucose (corn sugar) and once this runs out it gets stressed since it now has to generate enzymes to eat the remaining maltose.

Kai

Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM   #13
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears
Secondly when I snipped the pouch I think I cut too small a corner with the scissors as the yeast started to spray everywhere like a power hose! I managed to get some into the bottle but I'm not sure how much I lost. I put a cork and airlock on the bottle (1 litre glass bottle) and popped it in a warm closet and hoped for the best.
How do you prevent this from happening? So far I have been using White Lab Yeasts...... which would make sense why I have not had this happen to me yet.....

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
bigears
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good question... I'm hoping that by cutting further from the corner (cutting a bigger hole) will minimise this but I'd be interested to see if anyone has had the same problem. Maybe I had shaken the package beforehand, I can't remember. If it happens again I think I'll consider White Labs myself.

Incidentally I added some bottled water to reduce the OG and it has done nothing in two days. I think i lost too much to begin with, so another batch of yeast is called for!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #15
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I've never had it happen to me before, although I always halfway expect it when I snip the near-bursting pouch. Incidentally, I've seen quite a few complaints about White Labs vials exploding on opening, although I haven't experienced that, either.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #16
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My LHBS carries only Wyeast and dry yeast. There is no changing to WL for me. But I had this never happen to me either. I don't use scissors to open the package. I just tear it. I'm afraid that there are germs on the scissors blades that may get pitched as well.

Kai

Quick Reply