Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Maximum time in a secondary fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 08:20 PM   #1
TK421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Maximum time in a secondary fermenter?

How long can I leave beer in a secondary fermenter? It's my understanding that it can stay in there for months and be OK. Truth?

Primary: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Drinking: Midwest Porter, Noble Trappist Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Depends on what your brewing. A Lager for about 2 monthes, an IPA about 2 Mothes but a Hefe no Secondary is needed.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-04-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
blacklab

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

But, as I think you are asking, yes, you can leave any beer in secondary for months and it will be fine as long as you have properly sanitized. You just wouldn't want to for a Hefe, as you want it to remain cloudy.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #4
brewNdrink
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICLARK
Depends on what your brewing. A Lager for about 2 monthes, an IPA about 2 Mothes but a Hefe no Secondary is needed.
Would the yeast still be functioning, sitting in a scondary for 2 months? It's ok if you are force-carbing into a keg, but how about carbing with sugar in a bottle?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4451 Times on 3240 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Well, in my experience, two or three months seems to be ok. Maybe longer, but I've never done it longer! Still, when I lager, it's 8-12 weeks at nearly freezing temps, and the beer carbs.

If you are in doubt, though, after a long secondary, you can always rehydrate 1/4 package of dry yeast, and add that to your priming solution (after it's cooled!) when you bottle. I've done that because I was worried about carbonation in one batch, and it worked perfectly. Now, it might have carbonated just fine anyway, but I wanted to be sure.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Moonshae
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I made a braggot that spent 3 months in a secondary and 3 months in a tertiary fermenter. I had to repitch after that long, but the yeast settled out pretty quickly in the bottle. I added the dry yeast 72 hours prior to bottling and it carbed fine.

"You never can tell with bees." --Winnie the Pooh

Old 04-05-2008, 03:49 AM   #7
VA Brew
Recipes 

My last APA i left in secondary for 5 weeks (not planned just happened). Tastes great. I just bottled a IPA which sat in primary for 4 weeks (again longer than planned). While i was bottling it looked very clear and smelled perfect.
If its properly sealed and the secondary does not allow for a lot of head space for oxygen to eat at the beer (don't put 2.5 gallon batch in 5 gal secondary carboy), you should be alright for a few months. Yeast bite shouldn't be a problem in secondary and repitching yeast for bottling seems unneeded. If you were really worried about it i would say give the carboy a little shake prior to racking for bottling or just allow a longer time for carbonation (giving more time for yeast to reproduce until sugar is gone).

Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do many of my lagers at 90 and 100 days in the secondary.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I think you can leave it in the secondary for a year or more if it has been properly sanitized. Beer in the secondary has a layer of CO2 over it much like it would if stored in a keg.

I personally would not leave it in a plastic container that long, as you risk some air permeating the plastic and oxidizing your beer as well as the beer permeating the plastic for a challenging cleanup. If you have glass or stainless steel, you can leave it in it for a very long time though...

Cheers!
Brad

Old 04-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
trainfever
Recipes 

I was wondering the same thing because I made a batch about 3 weeks before Christmas and havent had a chance to bottle it yet.

Yes, I am out of my mind, it's dark and scary in there.

Quick Reply