Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > maple porter questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Brewer#19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default maple porter questions

i have some questions regarding my maple porter i just racked from primary to secondary. first, let me say, i tasted the sample i pulled for the gravity reading and i like it very much, great taste, still has some ways to go, but it taste better at this stage than any other beer i've brewed. on to the questions.

og - 1.089 (temp. corrected from 1.086 @ 85 F)
cg - 1.035 (cg = current gravity as i just started secondary)

as a relative noob, i was reading on here about someones calculations for percent attenuation. could some one give me a brief explanation of what exactly that is and perhaps even show me the formula/let me know where i'm at with mine. i have an idea what is means, but not completely.

since this is a "big beer" in that its intended to finish out at 8.1% a/v, i have since learned and probably should have used a yeast starter, but i didn't (i will in the future), i just used a smack pack, i know hindsight is 20/20. my question is, i had plenty of build up on the rim/side of the bucket, but is that enough fermentation? i don't remember if i should have had something floating on top of the beer, my last batch was a cherry ale with 8.5 lbs of cherries in primary so i had all that at the top, maybe i'm just panicing because i don't have something on top as i did last time.

the recipe i used states final gravity should be at 1.028, i'm at 1.035 after 16 days in the primary. will another 20 days (apprx.) get me to 1.028 or do i need to do anything to help get me there?

finally, i may be asking stupid questions and maybe i should just sit back because the beer is fine, but at least i'll learn a little on the way.

thanks in advanced,

Homebrewing cures working or at least washes it away.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

The formula is, using points (OG - FG)/OG So you are at 61%. Can't really make a call on how long the finish will take, is the gravity changing at all? You might consider adding a packet of dried yeast.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
Brewer#19
Recipes 

i'm assuming you mean just dump a packet into the secondary? or should i be hydrating it with a cup of water as i would if i were pitching it originally.

this is the first time i checked the gravity since my og reading so i don't know if its moving at all currently. i'll check it in a couple of days to see if i get any movement. again, this is the beer i got into homebrewing to do so i'm probably being a little overly sensitive to it all.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
shunoshi

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This sounds similar to when I racked my Winter Ale to the secondary. It was still a bit higher than expected, but the act of siphoning it caused yeast to resuspend and a slight fermentation continued dropping my gravity by another 6-8 points. I'd definitely take some readings over the next few days to see what's happening.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Brewer#19
Recipes 

so a week later and i'm essentiall at the same mark. looking for any expert opinions please.

should i leave it as is, let it condition as planned and just bottle it ...

or...

should i add a packet of dry yeast and/or attempt something else to help "move it along?"

the recipe, was

1/2 lb. roasted
3/4 lb. crystal 50-60L
10 oz. chocolate
1/4 lb. black

6.6 lb. Light malt extract
2.0 lb. Light dry malt extract
16 oz. Maple syrup
add maple syurp, 2 min before the end of the boil

1.5 oz. Northern Brewer (8.5% AA, 60 min.)

british whitbread (make a yeast starter) * only did a smack pack, not a starter, and yes i know, i will be doing starters from know on.

recipe:
og - 1.078
fg - 1.016

my readings
og - 1.089
fg - 1.033

i know which way i'm leaning, but i want to see what is recommended here first.

Quick Reply