Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > malt extracts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 05:58 AM   #1
ruppe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default malt extracts

I did a quick search, and found nothing. Does anyone know where I can find what exactly is used to make amber and dark malt extracts. I'm an extract+grains brewer. I read somewhere that when making darker brews, it's best to use light malt extract plus darker grains to make dark brews (ie, porters, stouts), so you know exactly what you're working with. I've made some good porters and stouts from various recipes using amber and dark ME, but would like to be able to create some of my own based on all grain recipes. As it stands, I can't go to AG right now, and I made a brew that called for like 4# grains for a partial mash, and it was pushing my capabilities. If I new what dark grains were used to make the darker MEs, I could use them and compensate accordingly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
ruppe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure my lhbs repackages bulk Munton & Fison in 1 qt containers, which is what I normally use.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppe
I read somewhere that when making darker brews, it's best to use light malt extract plus darker grains to make dark brews (ie, porters, stouts), so you know exactly what you're working with. I've made some good porters and stouts from various recipes using amber and dark ME, but would like to be able to create some of my own based on all grain recipes.
You already said it!! Buy enough light malt extract to cover the potential extract from 2 row in the recipe and use the ammounts of specialty grains listed (as long as it doesn't need to be mashed, see here http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter12-1.html). Sounds like you're well on your way to making great beer!

Old 08-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #4
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Im not positive, but I believe the color of darker extracts is achieved through carmelization.

- magno

Old 08-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Here is link to the Briess malting company website. They list the ingredients of some of their products. http://www.briess.com/brew/products.shtml#extract

Gary

Quick Reply