Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > malt extract choice in Porter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
redjameskidd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default malt extract choice in Porter

Howdy. I'm an intermediate homebrewer, looking to brew a porter next, and I have been noticing an interesting phenomena in porter recipes. Curiously, the great majority seems to call for amber or dark malt extract in addition to chocolate and black patent, as opposed to just using light malt extract and darkening with grain.

Why is this? As far as I know, there's no benefit to be had from using darker malt extracts when you could have more fresh grain flavor/color from your specialty grains. Why use dark extract when I can just steep more chocolate malt for a more authentic experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjameskidd View Post
Howdy. I'm an intermediate homebrewer, looking to brew a porter next, and I have been noticing an interesting phenomena in porter recipes. Curiously, the great majority seems to call for amber or dark malt extract in addition to chocolate and black patent, as opposed to just using light malt extract and darkening with grain.

Why is this? As far as I know, there's no benefit to be had from using darker malt extracts when you could have more fresh grain flavor/color from your specialty grains. Why use dark extract when I can just steep more chocolate malt for a more authentic experience?
I would use pale and then use the specialty grains as well. Just seems like painting a canvas to me.

I think that recipes vary so greatly, you'll be able to find some that go either way.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #3
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The problem with dark extracts are that you don't really know what's in them. Even pale extract has some caramel malt in it. With the dark malt you would likely need less specialty grains.

I think I'll have another pint of this highly flawed beer because it's so damned good.

Old 10-18-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stick with a lighter extract as the base. FWIW, I just listened to Jamil's show on Brown Porter, and he recommended a British Pale Malt extract as the base. (Maris Otter for AG brewers.) He added some Brown Malt, Crystal 40, and Chocolate Malt. No black patent in his recipe

This for for a Brown Porter (Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter was his example) though. Might be different for a Robust Porter.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #5
mandoman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hmmm. OP I see your point. In a typical AG porter recipe you have a light basemalt but in extract recipes I usually used amber. However, the amber base malt will give a nice flavor whereas steeping more of the chocolate could overbitter or over astringent the final product. All I know is that a little bit of choc goes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. In fact, I made a pretty decent porter that is essentially the same as a typical pale ale recipe with 3/4 pound (in 5 gallons) chocolate malt and it in no way resembled the pale ale.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #6
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I try to only use light extract- the beers I made that used dark extract all tasted the same. Check out Jamil's Robust Porter- either in Brewing Classic Styles or on his podcast. I've made it twice, and it's a winner.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I was thinking the same thing that you said, "check out Jamil's podcast".

Fermenter 1: IPA
Keg1: 15 Min Pale Wheat
Keg2: Hefeweizen
Bottles: Brown Biscuit Ale - SafeAle S-04 / Brown Biscuit Ale - Abbey Ale Yeast II

Old 10-20-2008, 07:44 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I use extralight, or light dme as the base of my beers, that way you can get some more complexity in from your steeping grains. By varying the composition you can get different layers of flavors. you can use a small amount of patent, or chocolate for color, but use a combination of crystal malts for flavor. You could use a little 60 and some 20 or 40 and will get different flavors from each, and as long as the chocolate or the patent doesn't overwhelm the palate, you will get a nicer beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 AM   #9
DD2000GT
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I heard the darker the extract, the sweeter the beer as the yeast does not convert as much as the lighter extract. Maybe they are looking for a sweeter Porter(?)

I just got the Porter kit from Midwest for my next batch and it has 6 lb.s of dark extract and only 2 oz. of hops (1 oz bittering, 1 oz aroma). I will give it a try "as-is" the first time around since they formulated this recipe. But, I have a feeling there will be more hops going in the next batch...

Dan

Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The AHS Chocolate Stout uses dark LME - it's all I know - and it is awesome!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Quick Reply