Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Making yeast starters frim dry yeast packets.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
IanPC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Making yeast starters frim dry yeast packets.

I have 8 kits under my belt and have used both dry packets, liquid, and made starters. However I have not made a starter from dry yeast. Can anyone tell me if all I have to do is rehydrated the yeast and then pitch it to the mini wort, or do it pitch just the dry yeast to the mini wort? All advice is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 168

You don´t need to make an starter with dry yeast. Just use more if you need to. The price of buying and extra pack of dry yeast it´s less than the DME you spend to make an starter.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I already have the dme and I don't mind using it. I've read I don't have to however I'm pretty set on doing it. It's a matter of timing in relation to my brew day and being able to get to my lhbs. 2 kids busy sched. Small window for a brew day.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
HBngNOK
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I just made a starter with a pack of Safale -05. I was preparing to make NB's Black IPA which has an OG of 1.075. Mr Malty said I needed 1.2 packs, but all I had was one, so I went ahead and made a starter. Followed the starter guidelines on YeastCalc to make a 1.5 L starter. Pitched it yesterday at 11:30 and had activity in the ferm. bucket by 6 pm.

But, to answer your question, I pitched the dry yeast into a mini-wort. I don't think it would matter, whether or not you pitch it dry or rehydrate.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 219 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPC
I already have the dme and I don't mind using it. I've read I don't have to however I'm pretty set on doing it. It's a matter of timing in relation to my brew day and being able to get to my lhbs. 2 kids busy sched. Small window for a brew day.
It's really not necessary with dry yeast. If you are set on making a starter, go pick up some good liquid yeast and save the dry stuff for emergencies. Cheers!

Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 89

OK, to actually answer the OP:

Best bet is to treat it like you would an ordinary pitch: for best viability of the dry yeast, go ahead and rehydrate prior to pitching into your starter wort. And, maybe to make up for the additional volume, I might reduce the water you disolve the DME in bye the volume you rehydrate your yeast in... (Just a thought there, not strictly necessary, but it could help avoid a messy overflow!)

Now, for my turn at a little additional advice: before going to the added effort of a starter with dry yeast, make sure you actually need that starter. Typically, they're not needed because a dry yeast packet contains significantly more yeast cells than a liquid yeast vial/smack pack, so you've usually got enough cells to ferment without the need of a starter. Check out the yeast pitching calculator on mrmalty.com if you haven't already, and it'll tell you exactly how many dry yeast packets you need - if the number is more than 1, then go ahead with your starter plans. If it's not, I'd say hold off until another brew with a higher OG. Starters are useful tools, but especially with the busy schedule you described, I wouldn't "waste" the time with one if you don't need it.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I've made small starters for the Cooper's 7g yeast packets before. But only 1-2C of wort for 3-6 hours. I figured it'd get them into the reproductive phase a little faster. They still took several hours to visibly ferment,but it was quite aggressive.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #8
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I try and make starters every time.
I know I've got good yeast, I see results quickly, it gives it a good start and it doesn't hurt anything. It's not like I'm going to be over pitching by enough to worry about even in a very low gravity beer.

That being said, yes you are correct.
You boil up the water and add the DME, pitch whatever yeast you are using the same as if it were going into the beer.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply