Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Making first brew today!! last minute questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2006, 05:01 PM   #11
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Ice bath in the kitchen sink is fine, just dont forget that you probably will be topping off so dont get it all the way down to the temp you want, but if ya do just warm up your topping off water a bit to compensate.

My kitchen sink will overflow from one side to the other so what I do is to build a little "dam" with a clean rag or towel (leaveing a gap for water to run out on one end) then put the ketel in the sink and fill the sink with cold water. I leave the water run very slowely and then add the ice. The reason I leave the water run is to flush out the warmer water and try to keep colder water in the sink moving. This may not work for you depending how warm your water is this time of year. My tap water is like 47f this time of year and jumps up to a chilly 56f in the summer, but then again it's sucked out of the bottom of Lake Michigan from like 5 miles out.

I can usually cool down 3.5 - 4 gallons in what seems like 20 minutes, I never really timed it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2006, 05:20 PM   #12
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEcted1
I don't have a hop bag...

Use a knee-high nylon stocking. Some might argue that the hop utilization is reduced, but to me it's not noticeable.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
davy

Recipes 

As far as an immersion chiller is concerned make one don't spend money buying one they are very weasy to make. You can get 20' of 3/8 copper tubing at HD or Lowes for about $20 and the additional fittings are really cheap. You just need something about the size of a paint can to twist your tubing around to make your coils and some other fittings. Just make sure you test everything out before you actually use it to cool your beer if you decide to make one.

Homebrew Saves Your Soul.

Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 PM   #14
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I havent used a Hop bag for Pellets I just pour the wort through a fine screen on my funnel, it clogs alot but using a "spoon type" strainer to clear it also aerates the wort in the funnel right before it goes splashing down. Then shake the crap out of it for few min.. let it settle and pitch. ... so far this has worked well for me.

Quick Reply