Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Make Your Own LME??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Gremlyn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Make Your Own LME??

Has anyone ever made their own LME? Since I don't have the room for a big enough setup to do full AG, I was thinking about trying to make some LME ahead of time and can it myself to save some $$. Just curious...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
jmo88
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The process is rather complicated and wouldn't save you money in the long run. I've read that the companies that produce this do so using a vacuum system after long boiling.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Gremlyn
Recipes 

I guess making LME isn't exactly what I am looking to do, let me see if I can clarify.

Grain to extract conversion is 1lb grain to 0.75 lbs syrup, right? So if I had a 5 gallon recipe with 8 lbs pale malt I would instead use 6 lbs pale extract. What if I made that 5 gallons with the grain, then just boiled the bajeebus out of it for a few hours so that it was vastly more concentrated, so what would go into 5 gallons would instead be in 1-2 gallons.

Its actually starting to sound like more work than it's worth, but still something that might be interesting to try.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #4
jamesnsw
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'd be worried about carmelization, but have no experience.

On an unrelated note, I would love to hear how your Jamaica beer turns out. I've been thinking doing one myself.

Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 05-11-2009, 11:42 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4469 Times on 3252 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlyn1 View Post
I guess making LME isn't exactly what I am looking to do, let me see if I can clarify.

Grain to extract conversion is 1lb grain to 0.75 lbs syrup, right? So if I had a 5 gallon recipe with 8 lbs pale malt I would instead use 6 lbs pale extract. What if I made that 5 gallons with the grain, then just boiled the bajeebus out of it for a few hours so that it was vastly more concentrated, so what would go into 5 gallons would instead be in 1-2 gallons.

Its actually starting to sound like more work than it's worth, but still something that might be interesting to try.
It does sound like too much work. It'd be so much easier to do a PM batch, and just use alot less LME by using more grains.

In your example, with 6 pounds LME, you could use 6 pounds LME = 1.043 OG. Or, you could use 4 pounds LME + 3 pounds 2 row = 1.043. Or, 3.3 pounds LME (one can) + 4 pounds 2-row = 1.043.

Depending on how much grain you can mash, you can get most of your fermentables from grain and just use a little LME or DME to make up the balance.

I mean, really, when it comes down to it, that's all AG brewers are doing. Taking grain and making it into liquid malt extract.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 AM   #6
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

To make enought extract for a full batch of beer you'll have to have full batch all-grain setup. Am I missing something? Why take the time to mash, sparge and do an extended boil only to prepare more containers for holding all of the sryup. Seems like it would take longer than doing the steps but instead throwing it into a boil and making beer instead.

Just re-read the OP and I think I know what you want to do now. Just buy the extract and concentrate on making good mini-mash beers with that. You'll be far ahead in the long run and they'll be pretty easy to convert to AG when you can run a bigger rig. If you need recipes there's plenty of great recipes here in our database.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 05-12-2009, 02:28 AM   #7
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinrearview View Post
To make enought extract for a full batch of beer you'll have to have full batch all-grain setup.

+1. In order to "boil the bajeebus out of it" as you put it, you would need the full AG setup that you say you don't have room for.

FWIW, there was a guy on this forum that made his own LME a few years ago, just to see if he could do it. I don't remember who it was, and I don't feel like searching, but it has been done. Oh, and the guy said the LME was awesome on pancakes!

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 AM   #8
Gremlyn
Recipes 

I was thinking that since I can't do AG, I could get some pre-made wort for the base and then mash whatever speciality grains I wanted for the style I chose to make. I think I'm just antsy to be able to AG and am looking for work-arounds that don't exist :P

As for LME syrup on pancakes... yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesnw View Post
On an unrelated note, I would love to hear how your Jamaica beer turns out. I've been thinking doing one myself.
Still decided what to use as the base, though I'm leaning towards a blonde. I'll be sure to post the recipe and how it turns out!

Old 05-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6134 Times on 5344 Posts
Likes Given: 748

I'm confused -- if you don't have the space for AG, how would making LME work? because LME is basically concentrated AG ---- you start with AG then concentrate it down to LME.

I think partial mash's are in your future - and you're in luck - there are some wonderful threads on this site about brewing PM's on your stove!

Old 05-12-2009, 05:24 AM   #10
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I'm confused -- if you don't have the space for AG, how would making LME work? because LME is basically concentrated AG ---- you start with AG then concentrate it down to LME.
I was thinking I would make several smaller batches of base malt. I'm gonna drop that idea though

I am making a 5 gal MLT this week, just waiting on my SS washers from McMaster to come tomorrow, so PMs will definitely be in my future.

Quick Reply