Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Magic Hat #9

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Adrenaline-Junkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Unless you dont like waiting the yeast will fall out of suspension after a while. Thats usually te route i take and it lets the flavors develop a bit more and even out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #12
tampa911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have been drinking this for a few weeks now and it is pretty darn good and is definitely reflective of the flavor of a #9. From the first bottle I felt like there was some kind of an "off" aftertaste but couldn't really put my finger on it, so I did a side by side tasting with Magic Hat's #9.

The magic hat #9 has a much more pronounced apricot flavor, and aroma, and I think this is due to the aftertaste I was picking up on. When tasting them side by side I feel like I was able to better identify the aftertaste. It is an "alcohol flavor" for lack of a better description and now that I have identified it I pick it up in the aroma as well. It is almost like the aroma you get from a cheap vodka or tequila where you sort of smell the alcohol evaporating in the glass. Is this what people are referring to when they talk about esters?

I let this thing ferment in my basement, and was able to keep it around 74 degrees most of the time, but as I was not using any dedicated temperature control there are days that it probably got a little bit warmer. I am curious if this is the reason for the slightly off flavor, or if it was the dextrose addition for alcohol boost.

I have a chest freezer with temp control now so I think I am going to brew this one again and see how it compares, but am debating whether to do it exactly the same (with the 1% boost) or omit the dextrose.

Either way even with the aftertaste this is an extremely drinkable beer, and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on it and its resemblance to #9.

Primary: Kolsch
Secondary: Big Double IPA

Drinking: Upstate Mike's Caramel Apple Cider
Drinking: Austin Homebrew "Magic Hat #9 Clone"
Drinking: Autumn Amber Ale

Old 05-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 3368

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa911 View Post
I have been drinking this for a few weeks now and it is pretty darn good and is definitely reflective of the flavor of a #9. From the first bottle I felt like there was some kind of an "off" aftertaste but couldn't really put my finger on it, so I did a side by side tasting with Magic Hat's #9.

The magic hat #9 has a much more pronounced apricot flavor, and aroma, and I think this is due to the aftertaste I was picking up on. When tasting them side by side I feel like I was able to better identify the aftertaste. It is an "alcohol flavor" for lack of a better description and now that I have identified it I pick it up in the aroma as well. It is almost like the aroma you get from a cheap vodka or tequila where you sort of smell the alcohol evaporating in the glass. Is this what people are referring to when they talk about esters?

I let this thing ferment in my basement, and was able to keep it around 74 degrees most of the time, but as I was not using any dedicated temperature control there are days that it probably got a little bit warmer. I am curious if this is the reason for the slightly off flavor, or if it was the dextrose addition for alcohol boost.

I have a chest freezer with temp control now so I think I am going to brew this one again and see how it compares, but am debating whether to do it exactly the same (with the 1% boost) or omit the dextrose.

Either way even with the aftertaste this is an extremely drinkable beer, and I have gotten a lot of positive feedback on it and its resemblance to #9.
I brewed an apricot wheat last year that turned out fantastic, i used 3pds of canned apricots pureed with some honey and steril water into secondary. I also ended up using the extract for aroma @kegging but only around 2oz of the stuff.

IMO what your tasting is the artificial flavoring alcohol base. Apricots grapes and raspberry extract all have a great "real" flavor to them but if youve ever had say strawberry or grape extract you would know what im talking about. You also fermented a little on the hot side which would produce some off flavors and "hot" fusel alcohols

also you hit it right on the head with that last bit. Dont just use dextrose (this is all that "boost" is) to up your ABV it provides no mouthfeel and will actaully help to dry out your beer, something you do not want on this style.

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #14
Shuasha
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Magic Hat #9 is really a simple, simple beer. When done in the brewery, it's 98% Marris Otter and 2% Crystal 60l. I'm not sure how that translates to the extract recipe (I doubt they have Marris Otter extract) but what you can do for some variety is Blueberry extract (EXTRACT, not "flavoring") instead of Apricot. Split the batch if you want since you add it at bottling/kegging. I did this recently and it turned out very good.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:35 AM   #15
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just to follow up, I brewed the Austin homebrew extract clone a couple months ago and it turned out great. Better than the original by everyone who tried them side by side. Great summer, easy-drinking beer.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
brokebucket
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Just an FYI, if you are getting ready to brew this, there is a Can You Brew It episode on #9 that talks about the process of cloning this beer. Definitely worth a listen.

Link: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/539

Old 06-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Sudsyone
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Just bottled up some #9 myself which is my second brew ever. Kit came from my local shop DIY Brewing. Tasted after OG was calculated which I screwed up by the way not mixing water in and taking a sample from the top. Was only 1.038 lol! Tasted very bland and watery of course. Decided to do a half and half apricot and blueberry flavoring right before bottling. Took a taste of each and I was pleasantly surprised, very smooth. Final gravity was 1.008 after 2 week ferment at 70 degrees in primary. Can't wait to test one in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply