Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Low O.G. on a recipe converted from all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
caphector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Low O.G. on a recipe converted from all grain

I recently was given an all grain recipe for an interesting-sounding AG scotch ale. Since I don't have the gear for all-grain yet, I read up on converting recipes and thought I had a handle on it. The recommendations I saw were .6 lbs DME to each pound of base malt.

To be sure I didn't mess up my math, I entered the all grain recipe in BeerAlchemy, then created a DME Extract version. I kept an eye on the estimated OG and made sure it was the same on the two recipes. Since the recipe was given to me as percentages, I aimed to keep the percentages the same; this may have been a mistake, I now realize.

So the grain bill I was given was:

SG: 1.068
FG: 1.016
IBUs: 26

82.4% 2 Row - 11.5 lb
12.6% Crystal 40 − 1 lb 12 oz
4.2% Melanoidin Malt - 9.3 oz
0.4% Carafa II - .9 oz
0.2% Peated Malt - .5 oz

Mash at 155°F for 60 minutes, with a 90 minute boil.

My converted recipe, targeting a 5.5 gallon batch:

7lb 10oz Light DME
1 lb 2.6 oz Crystal 40
6.2 oz Melanoidin
0.6 oz Carafa II
0.2 oz Peated Malt

Steeped grains at ~160°F, did a partial boil of 3.5 gallons for 90 minutes and had enough boiled water to top off to 5.5 gallons.

The two volumes of water were combined in carboy, then the carboy was agitated for five minutes to mix and oxygenate. Then I pulled a sample and my hydrometer read 1.057.

The beer itself is fermenting merrily, but I'm wondering what I missed that my OG would be off by 11 points. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Maybe the recipe you followed was for a 5 gallon batch, and you did a 5.5 gallon batch? That would explain most of the discrepancy.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Was the original AG recipe for 5 gallons, or 5.5?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:12 AM   #4
caphector
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The all grain recipe was given as percentages of various malts; it's from a recently-closed microbrewery. BeerAlchemy was estimating the gravity based on 5.5 gallons of water, so I don't *think* that'd be the issue.

Incidentally, the percentages listed for the AG version are what I was given. The weights are estimated to give an OG of 1.068 for a 5.5 gallon batch.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Quote:
I aimed to keep the percentages the same; this may have been a mistake, I now realize.
Right. You should have kept the quantities for the specialty grains the same and converted the 2-row to extract.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #6
caphector
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
Right. You should have kept the quantities for the specialty grains the same and converted the 2-row to extract.
That's what I thought I did; the conversion factor I used (from here was .6 lb DME to each pound grain; that comes out to 6.9 pounds DME. BeerAlchemy said my OG would be too low, so I added DME until I was back at 1.068 OG. Despite that, I came in at 1.057.

Doing more research, I came across a different article on conversion, which recommends eight pounds of DME.

I hope I'm not being needlessly obtuse here; I'm trying to figure out what I missed in my conversion.

Quick Reply