Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > low FG witbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2007, 02:10 AM   #1
_Edge
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default low FG witbier

brewed this recipe (extract):

http://byo.com/recipe/1445.html

My FG ended up being very low - 1.005, wheras the projected FG was 1.012. As a result, the beer (which I just racked to the secondary for a few days while I get suggestions) is very dry. Here are my thought for making this beer less dry/more refreshing -

I thought that I might pasteurize some orange zest - maybe from 2 oranges and add some more coriander, I would put that and the corn sugar in just before bottling. has anyone done this before?

and I guess having high attenuation is usually NOT a problem, but since the goal of this beer was to be a sweet, refreshing summer beer for some of my female friends, I don't think that it met with its expactations quite yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Before you do anything else, add ONE ounce of lactose, mix well and taste. Most people perceive lactose as 2-3 times as sweet as maltose. If it's in a carboy, I'd dissolve the lactose in 1/4 cup of boiled water before adding.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #3
Hopleaf

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just made a Belgian Wit and I used the zest from several different types of citrus. I think it was 2 lemon, 3 navel orange, 3 valencia orange and a grapefruit. I don't know how it'll be yet but it smelled wonderful.

Made a fruit salad afterward

* Kolsch
* Apfelwein batch #lots

Old 06-08-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
_Edge

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Before you do anything else, add ONE ounce of lactose, mix well and taste. Most people perceive lactose as 2-3 times as sweet as maltose. If it's in a carboy, I'd dissolve the lactose in 1/4 cup of boiled water before adding.
hmm... I do have the lactic acid (not yet put in) do people perceive it as sweet our sour? does anyone know if it mixes to create a sweet taste?

Old 06-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
Irishcrazy2005
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by egerrish
hmm... I do have the lactic acid (not yet put in) do people perceive it as sweet our sour? does anyone know if it mixes to create a sweet taste?
I haven't brewed with it myself, but I've drank a couple Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts (brewed with lactose) over the last few days and it definitely imparts a sweetness to it that other stouts don't have. Take this for what it's worth.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #6
_Edge

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcrazy2005
I haven't brewed with it myself, but I've drank a couple Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts (brewed with lactose) over the last few days and it definitely imparts a sweetness to it that other stouts don't have. Take this for what it's worth.
Great. well I'll try that and a bit of zest. Since the style of beer is supposed to be served with an orange peel anyway, I think it will end up tasty.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Lactic acid is sour, like all acids.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply