Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Low ferm temps for Ales?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
the_Roqk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Low ferm temps for Ales?

I finished building my Fermentation cooler last week and just in time I might add. Here in Florida it's been getting warmer. I have an American Pale Ale that's been in the Ferm cooler for about 7 days( average temp 64 F). But was first started ( 3 days) at temps around 72-76 F. It's been fermenting a total 10 days. I will check my gravity soon and am going to bottle when it's all good. Just looking for input to see if lower temps make the beer better. By the way I can get my ferm cooler at around 55 F with outside temps around 80 F. I think I can go lower on the temp but am having problems with my thermostat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

In the broadest sense, yes, lower temps are generally better. Some styles (Belgians, hefeweizens) will be missing certain fruit esters that are important to the style if the temp is too low, but those are the exceptions rather than the rule.

You'll usually get the cleanest results from fermenting near the bottom of the recommended temp range for your yeast strain. You will tend to get very slow ferments and possibly poor attenuation if you go below the recommended range by more than a degree or two.

If you have temp control, a good rule of thumb is to adjust the ambient temp to the low point (or one degree below) of the recommended range for your yeast strain. Active fermentation will be a few degrees warmer than the ambient temp.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 03-30-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
jpuf
Recipes 

I would stay within the yeast manufacturers recommended temp range during fermentation. Play with temps in the secondary or during conditioning. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I built a cheap styrofoam cooler box, no electricity, and stuck a meat thermometer throught the side. It isn't ideal, but it's cheap and it works, just gotta keep an eye on it, check it a few times a day. Keeping temps down during primary will result in a "cleaner" tasting beer.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 03-30-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I'd be careful with some strains. I've fermented some beers with highly flocculant yeast at the low end of the temp range and the yeast dropped out too quickly. For these yeasts strains I would stay in the middle of the recommended temp range. On the other hand, I've fermented 1056 at 60 degrees and had no problems at all.

Cheers,
Rich

Quick Reply