Love me some AHS Extract Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First weekend to play with AHS kits.

Yesterday was a Lawnmower Ale that was a little slow to start but is now trucking along.

Today, a cream ale that after 4 hours in primary is bubbling its butt off.

BTW, the Johnson Temperature Control unit I bought at the sametime, is probably the best investment I've made yet.

Hmmm, what to buy next?

I didn't know they had a Harpoon IPA clone. The real one I happen to like,among their other beers. Too bad they're all the way out in Texas. The stuff I got from makebeer.net in Iowa came in a little warm. I'll have to give them a look...

I love their kits also, but 7+ days on a UPS truck is too long in 90+ weather.

I'm just gonna have to move closer!

I just started their Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout Clone. The beauty of living in Texas. I can order on Friday and have it by Monday in most cases. The flat rate shipping and free over $100 is sweet.

The double chocolate stout is good stuff. I bottled it about 6 weeks ago, and it's getting better and better every week.

I've ordered 2 kits and one of my own making from AHS and I love their service. This last kit took a little longer and I had to re-pitch the yeast (Shoulda made a starter and I would have been fine)

I ordered two kits this past weekend, gotta come to nc. Didn't even think about the temperature problem. Worst case I'll have to get new yeast right? I mean everything else should be fine if it gets too warm?

I've ordered from AHS in the heat of summer and it takes about five days to reach Virginia. I thought there was no way the yeast would make it. So far, the liquid yeasts have survived. The cold pack might help but it is minimal. I did an experiment and put the frozen pack in the trunk of my car - it melted in a couple of hours. I do pitch a starter just to be safe and to boost up the count and also order a pack of the recommended dry yeast to have as a backup.

I live in Texas and have mostly used AHS. In the summer I don't order the yeast but get it locally unless using dry. I worry about the LME, which they pour from 50 gallon barrels and say is parishable. I think today is day 25 of 100+ heat in a row, does anyone know the heat effects on LME? I had a batch recently with a black residue in the bottom, not sure if that is normal or not.

I'd like the answer to that one myself. Some places put the LME in a vacuum sealed heavy bag,others in a little tub. I usually get mine in cans,but would like to try the other bulk stuff too.

Might want to check out brewmasterswarehouse. They're a lot closer to you, and with a coupon code they are often cheaper than AHS. They package their products better than any other homebrewshop, and I love the brew builder.

AHS, Northern Brewer, midwest supplies, brewmasters warehouse, etc are all great. I recommend people order from the shop that's closest to them to minimize shipping times with liquid yeast.

I don't know why you guys are getting such long shipping times. I leave in far northeast West Virginia, basically at the Maryland line. My order shipped out on a Monday and I had it on a Thursday.

Well,some like amazon,Midwest use Fed-Ex,so they're pretty fast. UPS is a bit slower,& go to different hubs,depending on location/destination. My son had orders go farther south,then north,then down to us before they finally got here with UPS.???

I don't know why you guys are getting such long shipping times. I leave in far northeast West Virginia, basically at the Maryland line. My order shipped out on a Monday and I had it on a Thursday.

UPS is usually the cause for me. If I order my kits over the weekend and I get and 2-5 day shipping, it will leave AHS Monday and there is a 50/50 I'll get it Friday.

Same here,Paul. If they use Fed-Ex,& I order it say,Saturday,I'll have it usually by Wednesday. Thursday at the latest.

I've made around 40 or their kits and they all have been exemplary. I'm in Kansas and delivery is 2 days here. No worries about shipping time. I usually order on the weekend and they ship on Monday with Wednesday delivery. I'm a great fan of dry yeast, so the heat and shipping time usually means a little less to me.

As to the question of what to order next: I love the Creamy Dark Ale; Apocalypso; ESB; Belgian White; Anniversary IPA; Anniversary Hefeweizen and Anniversary Belgian Golden Ale.

The one to choose kind of depends on your preference. I'm very fond of all of them.

I have the Anniversary Hefeweizen which I'm just finishing right now, and the Anniversary Porter which is ready now and both were great.
I brought some of the Porter on a kayak fishing camping trip last week and everbody loved it :mug:
I did buy them when the sale was on but would definitely buy them again.
The porter is the best beer I have brewed to date, though I'm no expert.

What to buy next? I've got Lawnmower and Cream Kegged, porter and a west coast red on deck. Whats this apocalypso like?

I'm gonna find out :mug: Just order enough for a 10g batch, I need to break away from the American "C"s.

:off:I was even pondering a sorachi IPA.

Does anyone know if AHS has their recipes online somewhere? I am not very organized with papers and always seem to misplace the paper copy they send you with the kit. I would like to keep them so I know/remember what malts and hops were used. It would be nice if that when you buy a kit, they would include a copy of the recipe electronically to you so you don't have to worry about loosing the hard copy.

Does anyone know if AHS has their recipes online somewhere? I am not very organized with papers and always seem to misplace the paper copy they send you with the kit. I would like to keep them so I know/remember what malts and hops were used. It would be nice if that when you buy a kit, they would include a copy of the recipe electronically to you so you don't have to worry about loosing the hard copy.

I scan mine and save as a document. Sometimes I need to edit it because the OCR isn't always that accurate, but it's worth 15 or 20 minutes of my time to always have it available.

Back