Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Lots of problems brewing today.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Your beer will definitely change a lot when it gets carbonated. At 9 days the yeast isn't done yet so sampling it then will not let you know what it will taste like when done. Give it plenty of time for the yeast to work on the strange flavors, they can do wonders if they have the time to do it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #12
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

For your next batches:
1. Use more water to steep your grains, then divide it between two pots if you can't get it all to boil in one pot.
2. Steeping is not a terribly temperature intolerant procedure. You won't change it much between 120 and 180 degrees. The main reason to keep it between 150 and 155 is practice for all grain because the conversion of the starch to sugar is temperature dependent.
3. DME isn't as particular about when it is added as is LME. Your wort should be boiling when you add it though. It dissolves better that way.
4. You don't want to boil off so much water that you get sludge. As your wort boils, add water to keep the level up. That should help prevent the scorching.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
GameFreac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Your beer will definitely change a lot when it gets carbonated. At 9 days the yeast isn't done yet so sampling it then will not let you know what it will taste like when done. Give it plenty of time for the yeast to work on the strange flavors, they can do wonders if they have the time to do it.
I figured. Was just seeing if there was anything else I could do besides wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
For your next batches:
1. Use more water to steep your grains, then divide it between two pots if you can't get it all to boil in one pot.
2. Steeping is not a terribly temperature intolerant procedure. You won't change it much between 120 and 180 degrees. The main reason to keep it between 150 and 155 is practice for all grain because the conversion of the starch to sugar is temperature dependent.
3. DME isn't as particular about when it is added as is LME. Your wort should be boiling when you add it though. It dissolves better that way.
4. You don't want to boil off so much water that you get sludge. As your wort boils, add water to keep the level up. That should help prevent the scorching.

Yeah I'm gonna get a turkey fryer and do full a full boil next time.

Good to know.

Thanks.

And also good to know.

Thanks guys

Old 04-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #14
GameFreac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I bottled it today and the FG was only 1.020 so I'm guessing it's around 4%. Tasted pretty good from the bottling bucket. I'll hope for the best I guess.

Quick Reply