Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking to try a new extract beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #1
saersy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Looking to try a new extract beer

I'm a pretty newbie brewer been doing it for a couple of months now. Brewed lots of different beers from wheat to dark ales to stouts and so on. Just wondering what people have made from extracts and if they could share there recipes with me lookin to brew a couple of batches up. I usually use the coopers kits and just work from there. Look forward to seeing and trying some of your recipes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
dwtowler
Recipes 

Just made a brewers best German Oktoberfest , will be ready in about 5 weeks. Even purchased a hb liter glass stein to drink it from. I will post to let you know how it turned out. Go beerfest.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
saersy
Recipes 

Did you use a larger kit for that? I've been wanting to do a lager but i live in Australia and its too hot at the moment. If you could share your recipe that would be great, looking forward to hearing how your Oktoberfest goes.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:45 AM   #4
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

What kind of beer are you looking for? My best extracts have been my Simcoe IPA, my basic stout (good on its own but also good for additions to make a PB stout or chocolate stout), and my Lawnmower Saison. All very different, obviously.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
saersy
Recipes 

Ill drink any kind of beer just lookin to make something different. I've made an ipa and a chocolate stout. What's a lawnmower saison? That sounds interesting.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Blackmuse
Recipes 

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/13525/three-shutt-s-to-the-wind-dunkleweizen

I've made this a couple of times and people love it! Great beer. If you've never used steeping grains then let me know and I can run you through it. I can add some notes to the bottom of the recipe. It uses liquid yeast too so be sure to get the yeast mentioned as that is what provides the flavor for this beer! Either slightly banana or clove.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
DromJohn
5 Gallon Mini-Mash Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Go to the Recipe Database
Pick a style.
Look for "Extract" under the "Prefix" tag.

I'm an Austin Hombrew Supply fan, and they have 1133 offerings, probably all with an extract option.

Drinking: Scaldis Belgian Special Ale; Allagash Grand Cru; AHS Budget IPA; William Moore's Summer Beer; Redhook Double Black Stout III; Chrysanthemum Honey Rye Ale; Cherry Porter; AHS SuperCaliFugglisticESBAledocious; Innis & Gunn Original II; Rafikah Rose's GF Pear Ale.
Bottled: NB La Petite Orange Blanche (first taste 30 August 2014)
Untappd: DromJohn

Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
dwtowler
Recipes 

Made the Oktoberfest with a bb recipe, this will be the first one that I brewed as a ale. Should lager this beer but we will see how it turns out.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #9
saersy
Recipes 

I don't get why they call some of the recipes extracts when a heap of them need grains and hops isn't that partial extract or mini mash brewing I'm newbie so have no idea how to brew these types of beers

Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #10
bds3
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saersy View Post
I don't get why they call some of the recipes extracts when a heap of them need grains and hops isn't that partial extract or mini mash brewing I'm newbie so have no idea how to brew these types of beers
Steeping grains are often for flavor and/or color, without contributing many/any fermentables to the wort (as is the point in a partial mash). I personally think steeping grains add a ton to extract beers. Almost as much as punctuation adds to a post.

Quick Reply