Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking to make a coffee stout-

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
millhouse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Looking to make a coffee stout-

Hello everyone, I am looking to make a coffee stout. I tried one by a micro brew out of pittsburgh and it was great. Would love to try and make my own.

I am not sure if it would be better to make more of a coffee porter or stout. Does anyone have any recipes that they would like to share? I usually make pale ales and IPA, and to be honest have never made a stout myself, but certainly enjoy that style of beer.

Looking to make 5 gallons total, I am open to any suggestions or tips.

Thanks!

-millhouse B)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

There's a good thread here about adding coffee flavor to porters by dry hopping the beans, but the same would apply to a stout as well. The other common method is to use cold brewed coffee at bottling, described here.

I would probably find a basic 5 gallon extract porter or stout recipe you like and use either method above to add the coffee flavor. Maybe a stout recipe like:

American Stout (Boil 60 min)

Size: 5 gal
Boil: 60 min

OG: 1.067
FG: 1.017
ABV: 6.5%
IBU: 50
SRM: 37

Specialty Grains: (Steep in 1.5 gallons water (2.7qts/lb ratio) @ 154F for 30 min)

1 lb -- Caramel/Crystal 120L Malt
12 oz -- Chocolate Malt
8 oz -- Briess Special Roast Malt

Fermentables (Increase boil water to 2-3 gallons)

5 Lbs -- Briess Dark Traditional LME (Add @ 30 minutes left in boil)
3 Lbs -- Briess Sparkilng Amber DME (Add @ 10 minutes left in boil)

Hops
1 oz Chinook (13% AA) @ 60 min (41 IBUs)
1 oz Willamette (5.5% AA) @ 15 min (9 IBUs)

Yeast
2 pkg -- SafAle American US-05; rehydrate per package

Fermentation

Top off to 5 gallons; Chill and pitch @ 65F

7 days Primary @ 65F

14 days Secondary @ 65F (use dry hop coffee method for 5-7 days here)

Bottle with 4 oz Priming Sugar (Dextrose) (2.5 vol) for 30 days @ 65F (Use cold brewed coffee method here).

Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I cold steeped 2oz of coffee grounds in 20 oz of water for 3 days and dumped it into the wort when it came off the flame.

Coffee was StarBucks Sumatra.

Was a very good Coffee porter, will do it again this fall.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I was starting to doze off from a beer and food overload during the superbowl last sunday so I needed a blast of caffeine. Of course I decided I needed another beer as well so I just made an espresso shot with one of these guys and dropped a Oatmeal Stout on top of it. Super good!!! And had the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee.

On an easier, less caffeinated note, Midwest Supplies Java Stout is pretty freaking good. Simple, but good.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I do a pretty killer coffee stout, I have been told, and the basics are as follows:

1) choose a sweet stout base, preferably oatmeal stout (IMHO) the silky body really goes well with it, especially if you serve it on nitro

2) get good coffee, the fresher the better! I use a locally roasted coffee, (coursely) ground the day that I use it. I recommend DARK roast

3) you're going to research "how to add coffee to stout" on here and spend hours reading confusing and pointless arguments. If I may... Go to Google and research "How to french press coffee." You will find that the coffee nerds of the world have a rather unanimous opinion that it is best to steep the ground beans for approximately 4 minutes at 180*F to avoid bitterness.

4) post boil, chill the wort to 180*F, or just above. Tie your coffee up in a mesh bag and let it steep for four minutes, or so. (I recommend around 3/8 to 1/2 pound of coffee per 5 gallons of wort, but again that is my opinion.) Remove the coffee and continue chilling down to yeast pitching temperatures.

5) keep carbonation fairly low, around 2.0-2.2 volumes if served on CO2, or around 1.2-1.4 volumes CO2 if being served on beergas through a stout faucet.

Cheers!

The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tims-C...9089362?ref=hl

Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
SpeedYellow
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 24

See My Recipes for an excellent coffee-stout (Mokah clone) here. Agreed with above that steeping at 180F works great; that's what I did because I know it works best for making coffee generally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfeister View Post
... I recommend around 3/8 to 1/2 pound of coffee per 5 gallons of wort, but again that is my opinion...
6-8 oz coffee is undrinkable to me; I've used less and found it a dumper. I suggest 1 oz per 3 gal, which is 1.7 oz per 5 gal. Even this level takes a couple months for the strong coffee taste to mellow. Just personal preference, of course.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
509inc
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I throw a full 1lb of freshly ground beans in 10 gallons. I prefer Peet's coffee.

My HomeBrew and Craft Beer Blog:
http://the509inc.blogspot.com/

Old 02-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedYellow View Post
6-8 oz coffee is undrinkable to me; I've used less and found it a dumper. I suggest 1 oz per 3 gal, which is 1.7 oz per 5 gal.
Agreed. Mine is "bold" when it comes to the coffee flavor. Reduce levels if you are not a coffee fan. That said, I find a large percentage of people who do not like coffee have only had gas station swill. If you give them a rich, full bodied, smooth, fragrant beverage to sip on (rather than a noxious, abrasive and tannic black liquid) they will say things like "Wow, I don't usually like coffee."

But this is not always the case. Some people really just don't like coffee. ;-)

Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
millhouse
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjpfeister View Post
I do a pretty killer coffee stout, I have been told, and the basics are as follows:

1) choose a sweet stout base, preferably oatmeal stout (IMHO) the silky body really goes well with it, especially if you serve it on nitro

2) get good coffee, the fresher the better! I use a locally roasted coffee, (coursely) ground the day that I use it. I recommend DARK roast

3) you're going to research "how to add coffee to stout" on here and spend hours reading confusing and pointless arguments. If I may... Go to Google and research "How to french press coffee." You will find that the coffee nerds of the world have a rather unanimous opinion that it is best to steep the ground beans for approximately 4 minutes at 180*F to avoid bitterness.

4) post boil, chill the wort to 180*F, or just above. Tie your coffee up in a mesh bag and let it steep for four minutes, or so. (I recommend around 3/8 to 1/2 pound of coffee per 5 gallons of wort, but again that is my opinion.) Remove the coffee and continue chilling down to yeast pitching temperatures.

5) keep carbonation fairly low, around 2.0-2.2 volumes if served on CO2, or around 1.2-1.4 volumes CO2 if being served on beergas through a stout faucet.

Cheers!
I really like this idea. I am making a 5 gallon batch which will make it more like a 2.5 gallon wort. How much coffee do you recommend using?

Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 AM   #10
tjpfeister
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

You're doing partial boil and then topping off with water? Well, I'm not really sure how sugar levels in wort effect coffee utilization... to be honest. I tend to think that they won't affect it greatly, so my instinct would be just to use the same quantity as you would in a full volume boil. So I would probably use 6-8 ounces, depending on how much coffee flavor you enjoy. (Or as other's have stated, just 2oz or so if you really aren't THAT into coffee).

What I can tell you is that every time that I do it, the hot wort always smells foul and you will be like "OMG, I used too much coffee." But after a few days of fermentation, you will sniff the airlock and be all like "Ooooooh noooo I didn't! Mmmmmmmmm!"

Quick Reply