Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Looking for a cheaper price on bulk DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #91
whatamidoing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnystar View Post
I was chasing this issue for extracts and have noticed by far LME is much cheaper than DME.
Remember that LME contains a lot of water weight. That williams site says that their LME is worth 32 gravity points ("degrees") per pound of extract in each gallon. Briess claims 44ish for their pilsen light DME, which I get at around $2.30-2.50 depending on shipping. 44/32 = 1.375, which is to say that one pound of the Briess DME is worth 1.375 pounds of this Liquid Malt Extract. Your 1.96/ pound is now about $2.70 per pound equivalent (1.375 pounds of LME) of DME -- not cheaper at all really . . .

Last edited by whatamidoing; 06-13-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #92
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Exactly. I was all excited until I saw it was LME.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #93
Nail
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know North Country Malt still sells to homebrew clubs if the club has ordered from them before. I cannot attest to shipping because I live an hour away from Chicago but they do sell a 50# bag of DME for $70. I know this doesn't work for everyone but if you are in the area maybe look for a local club and see about a group order.

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 PM   #94
jonnystar
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatamidoing View Post
Remember that LME contains a lot of water weight. That williams site says that their LME is worth 32 gravity points ("degrees") per pound of extract in each gallon. Briess claims 44ish for their pilsen light DME, which I get at around $2.30-2.50 depending on shipping. 44/32 = 1.375, which is to say that one pound of the Briess DME is worth 1.375 pounds of this Liquid Malt Extract. Your 1.96/ pound is now about $2.70 per pound equivalent (1.375 pounds of LME) of DME -- not cheaper at all really . . .
I don't have time to do the math right now vs the Briess one, but I did take the 20% water weight into consideration. I did not however take the gravity points you list into consideration. Can you point me to the place on the Williams site which lists their LME as being worth 32 gravity points (I assume your not confusing the 32lbs product weight)?

Strictly on price, it seems to me that LME almost always wins.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #95
Clifton
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Unless I'm mistaken....but I don't think I am. William's extract is made by Alexander's Malt.

http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic...26152&p=254099

Old 06-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #96
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 395 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnystar View Post
Yes, i would agree here...it is usually cheaper overall IMO, perhaps it is cheaper to make?? FYI North Country Malt sells the Briess 60 lb pail of LME for around $65.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #97
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Keep in mind that DME stores much better than LME. I can buy a 50lb sack and just toss it in a couple of buckets with lids and it's good for over a year. LME not so much, you want to keep it refrigerated and once opened the clock really starts ticking.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #98
Nail
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It also takes more lb of LME than DME to reach the same gravity.

There are conversions but a good rule of thumb is that 1lb of DME will give you the same gravity as 1.25lb of LME.

Of course this depends a little bit on the malt manufacturer and how many ppg each type of malt is rated at. But this is a good average figure.

Neil

Primary: Hefeweizen
Kegged: Gumballhead Clone

Just getting set up to do All-Grain and kegging.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #99
duckmanco
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Update ---- I went through farmhouse brewing, 50 lb. bag of Briess Golden Light and various other hops/yeast included in the order, shipping was 24.99 for the whole load, which I thought was reasonable considering the bag was 125.00. My local is 155 plus tax, not much of a savings but FB's yeast and hops are literally half price, and my local doesn't carry Apollo, which I can't wait to try.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #100
whatamidoing
Recipes 

Quote:
I don't have time to do the math right now vs the Briess one, but I did take the 20% water weight into consideration. I did not however take the gravity points you list into consideration. Can you point me to the place on the Williams site which lists their LME as being worth 32 gravity points (I assume your not confusing the 32lbs product weight)?

See Section 4.1 of their FAQs ("product questions"). It's actually 34ppg that they list, so it takes 1.294 pounds of this LME to equal the ppg of the Briess DME.

The comparison to Briess DME is $2.54 per pound-equivalent, which makes it very close -- not really worth considering more expensive than Briess DME from NCM for all intents and purposes.

Anyway, LME is easier to use since you don't have to stir it much, and as long as you use it within it's shelf life, you'd have to be a real snob to notice the difference (I doubt most beer enthusiasts could even tell all-grain brew from extract in a blind test, let alone LME vs DME, for that matter).

So go for the LME -- after all it's threads like these that get homebrewers cut off from big distributors like NCM in the first place. It's a moot point comparing to NCM's Briess price since no new accounts are being taken anyway. I guess I should consider myself lucky to have been grandfathered in to their accounts list and shut up about it before I ruin it again . . .

Quick Reply