Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > LME vs. DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 07:40 PM   #21
GIusedtoBe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since I've re-discovered home brewing, I have made about 12 extract recipes and have been much more pleased with DME. I would only use LME if it came with a kit but I've only done two kits and they were probably ranked #9 and #10 on my list. I like Briess better than Muntons because for me it seems to ferment out better and it is domestic so probably fresher.

Regards,
Al

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #22
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I'm finally breaking down and replying on this one (and one other, same subject).

I guess I am in the minority but I prefer LME. As I posted here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55495

...my preference may be shaped by factors that are environmental but the nuisance of handling DME makes it an overwhelming second best for me.

I might also be lucky to have a LHBS that does pretty good volume business (and is run by a guy who really cares about the art of brewing), because I've never felt like I got a can that was stale or old.

I will also say this - I was drawn to Briess because it is domestically grown, so in theory it is fresher and also I prefer supporting domestic producers, all things being equal. But I don't care for their products particularly, either dry or liquid. They just don't seem to give me as full a taste as either Munton's or Cooper's.

It's hard to describe, but to make a musical analogy, the brews I've made from Briess seem like a band without a bass player. There is something that's missing but it's not obvious what it is. I asked my LHBS guy about this and he speculated that it could be that since Briess primarily produces for big commercial brewers, they try to make their products more for the needs of that market.

There. I feel better.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:23 PM   #23
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
I'm finally breaking down and replying on this one (and one other, same subject).

I guess I am in the minority but I prefer LME. As I posted here:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=55495

...my preference may be shaped by factors that are environmental but the nuisance of handling DME makes it an overwhelming second best for me.

I might also be lucky to have a LHBS that does pretty good volume business (and is run by a guy who really cares about the art of brewing), because I've never felt like I got a can that was stale or old.

I will also say this - I was drawn to Briess because it is domestically grown, so in theory it is fresher and also I prefer supporting domestic producers, all things being equal. But I don't care for their products particularly, either dry or liquid. They just don't seem to give me as full a taste as either Munton's or Cooper's.

It's hard to describe, but to make a musical analogy, the brews I've made from Briess seem like a band without a bass player. There is something that's missing but it's not obvious what it is. I asked my LHBS guy about this and he speculated that it could be that since Briess primarily produces for big commercial brewers, they try to make their products more for the needs of that market.

There. I feel better.

Good posts, both here and their...I think, it's like anything else in the hobby, a matter of preference, and how good your process is....and also like you said, having the freshest LME possible.

I think I've only use briess products once, most of the time I've used Muntons myself...Even the DME I get from my LHBS is Munton's

Brew on

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply