Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > LME vs. DME

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 08:09 PM   #11
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
Thanks ya'll. Just scanned over a website that I've ordered from in the past, leisure-time.com, and the DME comes in either 1 or 3 lbs packages. I guess for a 5 gallon batch of all DME, I'd use 6 lbs total, right? Also, about 9 bucks for 3 pounds decent price and why do they list the DME as being "sprayed." WTF is that?
Yeah, 4 to 5 % is about her limit. An ex girlfriend use to tell me this..."Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker."
Will still use grains, I think they help out the extracts a lot. Probably stick with Crystal Malt 60L, about 8 ounces for 20 minutes around 160F.
Not sure why it's called sprayed honestly, but Evan hit the differences on the head...

6lb. of DME should be fine for a 5 gallon batch. If that's still too strong for her taste, bump it back to 5 or 5.5...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
jpsloan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I believe the term "sprayed" has to do with how they render the sucker into powder form.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Something interesting I read in a thread earlier today that may help decide how much to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blender
he way I understand it is that as general rule is you get 45 GU (gravity units ) from DME and 36 from LME. This is per gallon of wort.
Let's say your recipe needs a starting OG of 1.053 for a 5 gallon batch. You multiply the last 2 numbers of the OG , in this case 53 by the number of gallons of wort. Then divide that number by the GU of the extract.

53*5 = 265 -- divide 265/by 36 for LME = 7.36 pounds of LME extract.
Hope this helps.
So, basically if you are aiming to make her a beer with 1.050 OG, 50*5=250/45 gravity units for DME and you get: 5.55 lb. of DME.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:00 PM   #14
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

GREAT!!!! You guys

Old 11-15-2006, 09:03 PM   #15
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1019 Times on 679 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I haven't gotten any of my extract batches down to 1.010 yet and I've used DME and LME with various amounts of steeped specialty grains. I think my lowest FG was 1.014.

Anyway Qbrew (free software so take it with a grain of salt) puts 6lbs DME at 1.055 with a potential FG of 1.014 and a ABV of 5.4%. If you reduce it to 4lbs DME, you get 3.6% ABV. If I add 1lb of Crystal 60L steeped, it goes up to 3.8%

What kind of hops do you think you'll use?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-15-2006, 09:07 PM   #16
nosnhojr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
...why do they list the DME as being "sprayed." WTF is that?
Sprayed, or spray dried, just refers to the way the wort is concentrated and dried. Here's a blurb from an online ad for some Munton's DME:
Drying is achieved by the use of a spray drier, a process which produces particularly uniform powders both in terms of particle size and favor. In addition, Spraymalts can be weighed out with pinpoint accuracy and are ideally suited to dry-mix processes. They can be used in many of the traditional areas to replace liquid extracts.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #17
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

How do you calculate the expected change in gravity from start to finish?

Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #18
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Calculating the expected change in gravity would be just a guess anyway... It all depends on how well the yeast does its thing.

For example, you could use Seafale-56 (two different packets of dry yeast) for two identical 5 gallon batches. The yeast from batch #1 might get you 72% attenuation and batch #2 (simply due to it being different yeast/organisms) might reach 78% attenuation. Given identical OG's, this difference would cause a difference in the FG's.

So, I guess you could calculate a "Range" based on the attenuation range on the yeast packet/tube/smack pack, but it really just depends on the yeast activity for that batch. Sometimes the yeast will exceed what the pack says and others it may not reach what the pack says.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:18 AM   #19
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Calculating the expected change in gravity would be just a guess anyway... It all depends on how well the yeast does its thing.

For example, you could use Seafale-56 (two different packets of dry yeast) for two identical 5 gallon batches. The yeast from batch #1 might get you 72% attenuation and batch #2 (simply due to it being different yeast/organisms) might reach 78% attenuation. Given identical OG's, this difference would cause a difference in the FG's.

So, I guess you could calculate a "Range" based on the attenuation range on the yeast packet/tube/smack pack, but it really just depends on the yeast activity for that batch. Sometimes the yeast will exceed what the pack says and others it may not reach what the pack says.
Very true.
Attenuation also largely depends on the actual health of the yeast, the batch OG vs. the starter OG (if used), and the final alc%.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #20
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This what I'm thinking at this point, got some newer stuff ready to sample this weekend though....
6 LBS Plain Amber DME
8 oz. Crushed Crystal Malt 60L
1 oz. Perle or Hallertau hops, 40 minute boil, bittering.
1 oz. Willamette hops, 10 minute boil,finishing.
Yeast....the most important ingredient...don't know yet. I know it will be a dry yeast....probably
Nottinghams or Muntons.
I might try a liquid yeast and reharvest it. Been doing some reading on that and it doesn't sound too difficult.
Since this is obviously an ale, what'd you suggest?
IBU......around 15 to 20.

Quick Reply