The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > List of extract/extract with steeping recipes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
tegeberg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 67
Default List of extract/extract with steeping recipes

Hi guys

First post here at this awesome forum which has helped me a lot getting safely through my first batch (which I tasted a few days ago and to my surprise it was really good, far over what I had expected). Second batch gets under way this weekend and I am more than hooked already.

For the first two batches I went to a local homebrew store and got ingredients as well as the recipe from the owner. He is pretty expensive though, and I would love to get going on looking at not just following his advice all the way through but maybe being able to configure some stuff to my own taste.

So I was wondering is there any place you know of on the internet (or any book?) that lists a large amount of extract with steeping recipes covering a large variety of styles? There are loads and loads of them in here, but I would like some sort of an overview to get an idea as to what are the basis ingredients for every style etc.

Any source, website etc. you can recommend?

Thanks a lot in advance!

__________________
tegeberg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
nefarious_1_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 553
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

google.

__________________
nefarious_1_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
nefarious_1_
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 553
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

hahaha, had to do it, sorry.

But in all seriousness, try tastybrew.com, beerrecipes.org, hopville.com/recipes, etc. I think ratebeer.com has some too. There's a ton out there.

A lot of the recipes are bunk or don't explain enough to brew a decent beer though, IMO. I'd try some of the recipes on here before anything else, that way you can ask the person who posted the recipe any questions you might have. Forewarned is forearmed.

__________________
nefarious_1_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 60,032
Liked 4197 Times on 3055 Posts
Likes Given: 778

Default

Our recipe database here is very good. Also, my favorite book for beer style recipes is "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,694
Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
Our recipe database here is very good. Also, my favorite book for beer style recipes is "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.
+1 on the book. Definitely recommend it as the one recipe book EVERYONE should have.
__________________
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
CrookedTail's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Patchogue, NY
Posts: 563
Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Default

The recipe database on this site is great, especially because often you can communicate directly with the people who created the recipes. Most people on here are friendly and very helpful.

Also try The Joy of Homebrewing, by Charlie Papazian. Very informative, and a lot of recipes.

Also many online homebrew suppliers offer a lot of info on their recipe kits. Northernbrewer.com has PDFs of all of the ingredients and instructions that you get with their kits. You can study those and get a feel for what commonly goes into each style.

But seriously, this site is one of the best places to learn. It's been huge in my development as a homebrewer.

__________________
CrookedTail is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
jjanderton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Limerick, Ireland, Limerick
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Our recipe database here is very good. Also, my favorite book for beer style recipes is "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainasheff and John Palmer.
Hi....
I'd would like to suggest you the same book...... Other than that there are 4 steps I like to suggest to have awesome beer.......

PREPARATION

1. Clean & sterilise your equipment. Instructions are provided.
2. Put the yeast aside for the fermentation stage.
3. Dissolve the contents of the can in 2 to 4 litres of very hot water in a sterilised bucket. Use less hot water in hot weather & more in cold weather. Add 1kg of glucose or dextrose and stir to dissolve. DO NOT USE SUGAR.
4. Add about 10 litres of cold water to your fermenter, transfer the hot mixture from the bucket to your fermenter & mix thoroughly. Top up with cold water to the 22.5 litre mark.


FERMENTATION

1. Sprinkle the yeast onto the surface.
2. Seal the fermenter, fit the airlock and half fill it with cool boiled water.
3. Allow the brew to ferment. Try to keep the temperature in the fermenter reasonably constant in the low 20's and try to avoid it falling below about 18ºC. Typically this takes about a week.
4. Fermentation is finished when the airlock stops bubbling and the brew itself begins to clear. Allow a further 48 hours for it to clear thoroughly.


BOTTLING

1. Sterilise the bottles & rinse with cool boiled water.
2. Use your priming scoop to put a measured amount of sugar into each bottle.
3. Fill each bottle to within 50mm of the top.
4. Close each bottle with a crown cap and seal it firmly with a capping tool.
5. Shake thoroughly then stand the bottles in a warm spot (say around 20 to 22ºC.) for about a week then store for at least another 2 weeks before sampling.


MATURATION

Homebrew improves greatly with bottle ageing and will not go off in the bottle at all. A six month old beer will be very much better than a one month old beer. So, try to age your beers, you will enjoy them much more. In fact, you will be amazed at how much your aged beers have improved. Don't forget to label and date each batch. Keep samples to try at 3, 6 and 12 months old. Take notes about how they taste then you will see for yourself how this amazing improvement works.
__________________

Home Brew

jjanderton is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 04:43 AM   #8
tegeberg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 67
Default

Thanks for the answers, you guys rock! Does a book like "Brewing Classic Styles" mainly list all grain recipes or does it like "How to brew" list all grain as well as extract options for each style?

__________________
tegeberg is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,694
Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegeberg
Thanks for the answers, you guys rock! Does a book like "Brewing Classic Styles" mainly list all grain recipes or does it like "How to brew" list all grain as well as extract options for each style?
That particular book provides at least one recipe for every single BJCP-defined beer style, and most of them are extract recipes (with and without steeping grains). The ones that aren't extract recipes are partial mash recipes (which is still doable with the equipment used for extract brewing), and only because they are styles that can't be properly brewed without a portion of mashed grain.

All recipes also include a small section at the end for how to convert it to all-grain, but if you're doing extract brewing, you don't to worry about that anyways.
__________________
emjay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 27,769
Liked 1826 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjanderton View Post
Hi....
I'd would like to suggest you the same book...... Other than that there are 4 steps I like to suggest to have awesome beer.......

PREPARATION

1. Clean & sterilise your equipment. Instructions are provided.
2. Put the yeast aside for the fermentation stage.
3. Dissolve the contents of the can in 2 to 4 litres of very hot water in a sterilised bucket. Use less hot water in hot weather & more in cold weather. Add 1kg of glucose or dextrose and stir to dissolve. DO NOT USE SUGAR.
4. Add about 10 litres of cold water to your fermenter, transfer the hot mixture from the bucket to your fermenter & mix thoroughly. Top up with cold water to the 22.5 litre mark.


FERMENTATION

1. Sprinkle the yeast onto the surface.
2. Seal the fermenter, fit the airlock and half fill it with cool boiled water.
3. Allow the brew to ferment. Try to keep the temperature in the fermenter reasonably constant in the low 20's and try to avoid it falling below about 18ºC. Typically this takes about a week.
4. Fermentation is finished when the airlock stops bubbling and the brew itself begins to clear. Allow a further 48 hours for it to clear thoroughly.


BOTTLING

1. Sterilise the bottles & rinse with cool boiled water.
2. Use your priming scoop to put a measured amount of sugar into each bottle.
3. Fill each bottle to within 50mm of the top.
4. Close each bottle with a crown cap and seal it firmly with a capping tool.
5. Shake thoroughly then stand the bottles in a warm spot (say around 20 to 22ºC.) for about a week then store for at least another 2 weeks before sampling.


MATURATION

Homebrew improves greatly with bottle ageing and will not go off in the bottle at all. A six month old beer will be very much better than a one month old beer. So, try to age your beers, you will enjoy them much more. In fact, you will be amazed at how much your aged beers have improved. Don't forget to label and date each batch. Keep samples to try at 3, 6 and 12 months old. Take notes about how they taste then you will see for yourself how this amazing improvement works.
Don't count on the airlock to gauge fermentation,it's just a pressure relief valve. And it usually takes more than a week for a beer to reach a stable FG,& have time to clean up it's by-products. It also allows more trub to settle out & clear some more.
I also wouldn't advise rinsing the sanitizer off the bottles. Products like star-san are only viable when wet. Rinsing it off is allowing nasties another chance.
Using a bottling wand,always fill the bottle all the way to the top to get the proper head space when the wand is removed. Priming with sugar in the bottle is ok,But a measured amount in 2C boiling water to bulk prime gets more even carbonation. 3 weeks minimum recommended time in the bottles to condition is the norm.
And beer can "go off" in the bottle insomuch as the hops & malt flavor fade/change over the course of time. Average to medium gravity beers do not age well. Big beers are usually meant to age a long time,like stout,barleywine,etc.
__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
My new book is on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3MCU0W
unionrdr is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steeping Grains for an Extract Berliner Weisse br3wklyn Extract Brewing 11 10-04-2010 01:16 AM
Converting All Grain to Extract - I need a shopping list MarcJWaters Extract Brewing 5 12-11-2009 12:52 AM
First extract batch - lid on pot when steeping grains? GOOCHY Extract Brewing 6 11-30-2009 06:57 PM
Steeping grains and extract karbinator Extract Brewing 14 03-17-2008 01:08 PM
Extract recipes Kiana Extract Brewing 2 08-20-2007 08:29 PM