Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Liquid malt extract differences?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Liquid malt extract differences?

If a recipe calls for Northwestern Amber extract, can I use any company's Amber extract as a substitute?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
dewey316
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do substitue brands sometimes, if I can't get ahold of the brand I am looking for, at my LHBS. Often times i just use the LHBS bulk LME. THey do differ a little, and have slightly diffrent ammounts of fermintables. It all depends on how exact you want to be. If you are doing a clone beer, it might make a diffrence in the flavor. I normally don't worry about it, as I often don't do clones, I just go for a style beer, and try to make it my own.

So, to sum it up, they do very in the ammount of fermintables, and will very in flavor just a bit. So the choice to substitue is up to you.

If you are going to a LHBS, you should be able to ask them, a lot of places may have 3-4 diffrent Amber extracts, ask them which one would be closest to the one your recipe calls for.

Primary 1 -- Coffe and Cream Robust Porter
Primary 2 -- Vanilla Cream Porter
Secondary 1 -- Hail-Storm IPA
Secondary 2 -- Empty this week
Drinking -- NW Oatmeal Stout, Caramel Cream, Belgian/Irish N-Fusion, House Pale Ale

Old 08-27-2006, 02:49 PM   #3
newkie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayrton
If a recipe calls for Northwestern Amber extract, can I use any company's Amber extract as a substitute?
Assumming this is unhopped extract, really the main difference is the color. You might find one dark LME much darker than another. Usually this information is available on the mfgs website. Sure there will be some differences, but then half the fun is making each brew your own.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It seems like with every kit I buy I always change it in some way. More hops extra DME or something. I just like to try see what happens.

Old 08-27-2006, 03:57 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only reason someone mentions a brand malt is because thet's what they used in the recipe.

Quick Reply