Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Light vs extra light/pilsen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
mdawson9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Light vs extra light/pilsen

Hi there. I love IPAs and pale ales and wondered what folks preferred for extract base. I used golden light with my last IPA and enjoyed it. I have a pale ale ready to keg that I brewed with Pilsen and it seemed much lighter and subdued. Guess that's the point but was curious to see what everyone else used. Thanks for your thoughts!!

RIP: British Pale Ale, Hefeweizen, Cream Ale, DIPA, American Brown Ale, Single Hop Nelson Sauvin IPA, NB Winter Warmer, Chimay Blue Clone, Magic Hat #9 clone, Single Hop Cascade IPA, Vanilla Bourbon Porter, SMaSH Cenntenial IPA, German Pils,
Bottled: Beligan Trippel, Imperial IPA
Kegged: American Amber
Fermenting: Belgian Witbier
Lagering:
On Deck: Citra IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2006 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 1485

For PA/APA/IPA's I use plain light extract,usually LME,then add plain light Munton's DME. Gives that DFH sort of amber orange color.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
edb
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used DME extra light before end, I was shocked on how light it was. Mostly I use an golden light but when I have the need to brew something very light again I will use the extra light, perhaps with a Summer ale.

The next IPA I have up is actually going to be more of an orange color not quite an amber but not light, I will need to steep some Crystal 40 and Munich with it to give some color.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I don't use LME anymore, but see below for DME ratings.

As a point of reference, American 2-row pale malt in its pure form is approx. 34-37 ppg and about 2 L.

Briess Pilsen Light DME = 44 ppg / 2 L = (American Pils Malt & Carapils)
Briess Golden Light DME = 43 ppg / 5 L (American 2-row, Carapils, & Light Crystal Malt)
Muntons Light DME = 44 ppg / 5 L (English 2-row, Carapils, & Light Crystal Malt)
Muntons Extra Light DME = 37 ppg / 3 L (English 2-row & Carapils)

The higher the L, the darker the extract. Adding half (or more) of your extract very late in the boil helps to minimize wort darkening, among other benefits. The ppg rating has to do with the amount of available sugars in the extract. For example, if the ppg of extract is 1.037, then putting 5 pounds in 5 gallons of water (1 lb/gal) would yield an original gravity of 1.037.

Quick Reply