Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > levitation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #21
Pivot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Gotta say, this brewery has some really stupid brew names. If I hadn't heard about this stuff on here I dont think I would look twice at some bottle of beer called Stone Ruination, or Stone Levitation. Not to mention id feel pretty stupid asking for it if someone wasnt familiar with it while out somewhere

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #22
TheWhaleShark
Recipes 

How can you not love a brewery that puts out a beer called Arrogant Bastard? The label even challenges you. Right to your face.

It also helps that their beers are astounding. Stone Russian Imperial is fantastic. Oaked Arrogant Bastard is sublime.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:12 PM   #23
Pivot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh no slight against the beer at all, I have no problem with the actual product itself, I just think they have some stupid names.

Primary
Dark Belgian, Hobgoblin Clone

Kegged
Dark Ale

Bottled
Fruit Braggot, EdWort's Apfelwein, Coffee American Stout

Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
I don't know if they post the recipes or not, but I know that the "Can You Brew it?" show attempted this one recently. They got a lot of info from Mitch Steele, but I think the ultimate conclusion was "Not Cloned".
I was interested to listen to that one because several months ago I emailed the lead brewer (John Egan) and asked about the grain bill for Levitation. John was nice enough to send one to me. When the Can You Brew It came out I was really curious if it would be the same recipe, and indeed it was.

I brewed a beer using the grain bill, but hopped it a bit differently, and I thought it was quite good. It wasn't Levitation obviously, but it was a nice lower gravity beer.
Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 03-01-2010, 05:49 PM   #25
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
It almost seems like a scaled down IPA, which is definitely an interesting concept. How do you make a beer that has complex, intense hop aroma that is low(er) in alcohol?
Eric
This is my quest at the moment. I have this theory that everyone would ditch BMC if they drank a nicely hopped session homebrew. It takes time to develop a taste for hops, but the level of hop deliciousness that a homebrew can reach would convert anyone IMO. The low profile of a session beer leaves nothing for the hops to hide behind. One of the biggest differences between craft beer and homebrew to me is that when you pasteurize, package, and subject a bottle of beer to shipping, so much is lost that can never be regained. Some of my favorite hoppy beers are actually downright awful if they're not fresh.

I've done something very similar with a cream ale. Prime with fruit liqueur and you have in my mind the ultimate crowd pleaser. I can't think of anyone, be it beer snob or sorority girl, that wouldn't enjoy a glass of peach cream ale. I've never seen any beer like it available commercially, and I consider myself fortunate to have chanced a batch to discover how good this **** is.

I honestly love levitation and I'm excited to try this recipe. Levitation and hazed and infused were two beers I always couldn't get enough of. I wish that stuff flowed like natty.

Peep my nanobrewery: http://crookedrunbrewing.com

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #26
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Alright...I've attempted a Levitation clone twice and here have been the results:

First batch (using Couevas' extract recipe): ugh...i completely botched the recipe (i brewed during Super Bowl Sunday and forgot to top off to 5.5 gallons as per the recipe). Ended up being much darker, high gravity, etc. It's 10 days into bottle conditioning now so we'll see how it ends up. From initial tastes it seems like I could do less chocolate malt (but its not an accurate assessment since my volume was too low). It's like some crazy amber ale/porter hybrid. Hey, "every brew is an adventure," right?

Second batch (using EricCSU's extract recipe): alright...i was focused and on my A-game this time and followed everything to the T. Its currently in the primary and the gravity and color were spot on. I'll keep you updated.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #27
steinsato
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Stone makes Arrogant Bastard correct? I just tried their Oaked Arrogant Bastard. It was definitely good, but honestly I couldn't really taste the "oaked" part of it. I gotta say I won't pay $15 for a 6 pack of it again.

"The ordinary world is only the foam on top of the real world." Tom Robbins (B is for Beer)
"It's a beautiful day for baseball. Let's play two." Ernie Banks

Old 03-08-2010, 04:10 PM   #28
surferdrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinsato View Post
Stone makes Arrogant Bastard correct? I just tried their Oaked Arrogant Bastard. It was definitely good, but honestly I couldn't really taste the "oaked" part of it. I gotta say I won't pay $15 for a 6 pack of it again.
They do. Here it is on the Stone Website: Oaked Arrogant Bastard

Also, here are the reviews on BeerAdvocate: Oaked Arrogant Bastard

I agree, unless you love it, not worth the $15 for a sixer.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #29
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCSU View Post
It was actually voted "cloned" by a vote of 4-0.
Huh. I don't know why I thought it was voted "not cloned". I must have been thinking of a different brew.

I actually went back to listen to it today, and realized that I never actually finished listening to it!

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 05-02-2010, 11:33 PM   #30
Toothman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdrew View Post
Alright...I've attempted a Levitation clone twice and here have been the results:

First batch (using Couevas' extract recipe): ugh...i completely botched the recipe (i brewed during Super Bowl Sunday and forgot to top off to 5.5 gallons as per the recipe). Ended up being much darker, high gravity, etc. It's 10 days into bottle conditioning now so we'll see how it ends up. From initial tastes it seems like I could do less chocolate malt (but its not an accurate assessment since my volume was too low). It's like some crazy amber ale/porter hybrid. Hey, "every brew is an adventure," right?

Second batch (using EricCSU's extract recipe): alright...i was focused and on my A-game this time and followed everything to the T. Its currently in the primary and the gravity and color were spot on. I'll keep you updated.
Surferdrew,
How did that second batch turn out? Did you get a pretty good match? thanks

Quick Reply