Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > leaving the country...looking for a beer to condition a while

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #21
Jamo99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Age it in the secondary. Bulk aging will give you more consistent flavors in each bottle when you do bottle it. Bottle aging/conditioning will mature a bit faster, but you could get some different flavors from bottle to bottle. Since you'll be away I would take advantage and let it sit in the carboy longer. As to how long to keep it in primary, I would leave it for as long as a month and a half, then move to secondary. I've heard of people leaving it in primary longer than that, but I can only vouch for some of my brews that have sat in primary for 8 weeks before going to secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
Steiner
Recipes 

I've found some recipes that require a longer time in the primary than I have available before I leave. I will be gone for 5 months. How bad is it to leave beer in a primary for an extended period of time...like 5 months. Otherwise, I'll have to have a friend transfer to a secondary or just not brew until I get back.

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Old 01-06-2008, 03:10 AM   #23
GregKelley
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you have a basement or area of the house that will stay in the mid-low 60s for the next couple of months, I'd try a Wee Heavy. Otherwise, if its doing to be in the 70s, go for a Dubbel or Belgian Golden.

My Belgian Golden recipe takes 2-3 weeks in primary, 2 months in secondary and atleast a month of carbonation.

I think with any recipe, you may have to do something to wake up the yeast before carbonating after your 5 months. Maybe add a packet of fresh yeast when you carbonate.

Your beer will definitely be clear, though!

Quick Reply