Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > leaving the country...looking for a beer to condition a while

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
AlaskaBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a "groaning ale" that I am conditioning for several months. Got it from The Homebrewer's Recipe Guide that I have had for years. It has a OG of 1.079. It has some honey in it if you are looking for that. It still has about 2 months left to go.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #12
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I have a scotch ale that would be perfect with 5 months aging.. I never got past 3 with it (except the 2 bottles I found in the forgotten stash.) At 18 months it was really smooth

Old 12-03-2007, 12:51 AM   #13
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Barleywine or imperial something. Also, go for the mead, it's totally worth it.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 AM   #14
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I bet a nice Belgian Golden Strong Ale would do the trick. Belgians have such complex and wonderful flavors with age OR, you could get in on the 08/08/08 RIS we're doing. Try Ol' Rasputin (not on an empty stomach)....you'll be glad you did

Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 AM   #15
WillPall
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Man, this sounds like fun. Too bad I don't have the patience for such a long aging process.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:00 AM   #16
Steiner
Recipes 

Sounds good guys. I did a little shopping and picked up a couple "research items". Grabbed an RIS (Ol' Rasputin), Scotch Ale (Belhaven Wee Heavy and McEwan Scotch Ale), Mead (Chaucer's), Barleywine (Avery Hog's Heaven), and a few others. Let me know if you've got any feedback from these selections.

I tried Ol Rasputin and am definitely considering partaking in the 08-08-08. They've got an extract recipe for me posted on AHS already too! Definitely a strong stout that packs a punch and you were right ScubaSteve, I don't think I'd want to try it on an empty stomach. I really enjoyed it though. They come in 4-packs, so I've only got two left!

McEwan was ok, but something put me off a bit, which is weird because I'm a fan of the Scottish Ales I've tried. Tomorrow I think I'll try the mead. My very first mead. I've had honey wine in Hungary but not sure if it's the same as American style.

I've only had one Belgian Strong Blonde (Pranqster) and wasn't a big fan. Let me know if you've got any offerings and I'll give them a shot. I'm always willing to try a new beer.

That's the update folks. I found some carboys on sale for $15 (LHBS sells them for $35) so I'm gonna pick up 2-3 and seriously consider conditioning some of these babies for the long haul. I am so excited. It's ok, WillPall, I don't have the patience either- that's why I'm taking full advantage of me being thousands of miles away from my brew.

Old 12-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #17
joebou4860

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Steiner]
They've got an extract recipe for me posted on AHS already too! QUOTE]

where did you find this?

Edit: found it under the alphabetical clone lists under Russian Imperial Stout (HomeBrewTalk)

Last edited by joebou4860; 12-04-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:09 PM   #18
Dycokac
Recipes 

[QUOTE=joebou4860]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner
They've got an extract recipe for me posted on AHS already too! QUOTE]

where did you find this?

Edit: found it under the alphabetical clone lists under Russian Imperial Stout (HomeBrewTalk)
I personally found it in this post in the 8.8.08 RIS thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=457540&postcount=156

Mine's on order!

Old 12-05-2007, 02:36 AM   #19
Steiner
Recipes 

Seeing that if I do decide to brew mead, where on earth would I find all that honey? I imagine ordering it online would cost a bundle, yet maybe necessary. I haven't decided anything yet, but still searching.

An update: had the Belhaven Wee Heavy. For some reason, it tasted different than I had remembered. For some reason, I think my tastes might have changed and I don't like Scotch Ales as much I used to. When I first had it about six months ago, I would have sworn by it as a favorite.

Let me know if you have any other recommendations for brewing and/or commercial examples.

Last edited by Steiner; 12-05-2007 at 05:36 AM.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:07 AM   #20
Steiner
Recipes 

Ok, I've gotten a couple recipes cooking in my head to try out. I have one question- for aging, is it best to age in a secondary or bottles (I don't keg)? Also, how long is it ok to leave beer in a secondary? Primary?

Primary: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Secondary: Pumpkin Ale, Scottish Ale
Aging: Oaked Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Blueberry Mead, Orange Mead
Drinking:
Next:

Time heals...
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/blog.php?b=104
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost...&postcount=101

Quick Reply