Learnings From First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasherb

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch about a month ago. A lot went wrong. I was able to turn to this forum for advice and fixes.

To return the favor, here are a few things I learned.

First, I have an electric, glass-top, convection stove the single burner just didn't have the power to boil 3 gals of water in my stainless steel pot. I ended up putting the pot 1/2 on one small burner and 1/2 on one larger burner. This worked because the edge of the bottom of the pot directly touched the burner. Still, it took a long time to get a boil going. Have patience

Second, I used liquid malt extract (LME) and when I poured in the extract it settled on the bottom and burned (scorched). Taking the pot off the heat for this maneuver and stirring while slowly pouring would have helped avoid this. However, it turned out okay in the end. Although the wort was very bitter and with a strong bitter ashy aftertaste, after a couple weeks in the fermenter and a week of bottle conditioning, it turned into a pleasant caramel taste.

Third, I vigorously shook my liquid yeast vial then when I opened it less carefully than I should have, it sprayed all over my kitchen. I ended up pitching less than half the yeast. It took about 24 hours to start, but eventually primary fermentation got going.

Fourth, primary fermentation was extremely vigorous. So vigorous in fact that the air lock blew apart. I had to attach a blow-off hose instead. That went well, but the tube I used was my only tube, and I didn't have the budget to purchase a new tube before bottling time. (Yeah, I keep track of my pennies that closely!) So when it was time to bottle, and my tube was all scummed up with blow-off I had to find some way to clean off the dried on blow-off. I found that placing the tube on my kitchen counter then very firmly rolling it out with a rolling pin rubbed the sides of the inside of the tube together. This quickly dispatched the offending gunk.

Finally, I accidentally used about twice the priming sugar called for (corn sugar). The ale was great for about two to three weeks after bottling, but eventually the yeast ate the extra corn sugar and created too much carbonation, too much alcohol, and degraded the flavor.

Overall, the first batch turned out very well. I was surprised that despite the issues above, I enjoyed drinking most of it.

I'm on batch two now. So far none of the above have happened. Fingers crossed.

I brewed my first batch about a month ago. A lot went wrong. I was able to turn to this forum for advice and fixes.

To return the favor, here are a few things I learned.

First, I have an electric, glass-top, convection stove the single burner just didn't have the power to boil 3 gals of water in my stainless steel pot. I ended up putting the pot 1/2 on one small burner and 1/2 on one larger burner. This worked because the edge of the bottom of the pot directly touched the burner. Still, it took a long time to get a boil going. Have patience

That's where I started too. When Thanksgiving comes around, run down to the Mal*Wart and pick up one or two of their $40 turkey fryer kits. You get the burner, a 30-qt kettle and a dial thermometer. Great deal. Then you take it outside, and you don't make the house all hot, and your boil gets going MUCH easier.

Second, I used liquid malt extract (LME) and when I poured in the extract it settled on the bottom and burned (scorched). Taking the pot off the heat for this maneuver and stirring while slowly pouring would have helped avoid this. However, it turned out okay in the end. Although the wort was very bitter and with a strong bitter ashy aftertaste, after a couple weeks in the fermenter and a week of bottle conditioning, it turned into a pleasant caramel taste.

Yeah, stirring your extract when you add it is important. At least the batch is ok!

Third, I vigorously shook my liquid yeast vial then when I opened it less carefully than I should have, it sprayed all over my kitchen. I ended up pitching less than half the yeast. It took about 24 hours to start, but eventually primary fermentation got going.

Next time you need to make a starter. Not "should", "NEED". The three most important keys to making great beer are sanitation, fermentation temps and yeast pitching cell counts. Yeast starters are easy to make, they cut your lag times, and help you make much better beer. I won't use liquid yeast without it, and neither should you.
Fourth, primary fermentation was extremely vigorous. So vigorous in fact that the air lock blew apart. I had to attach a blow-off hose instead. That went well, but the tube I used was my only tube, and I didn't have the budget to purchase a new tube before bottling time. (Yeah, I keep track of my pennies that closely!) So when it was time to bottle, and my tube was all scummed up with blow-off I had to find some way to clean off the dried on blow-off. I found that placing the tube on my kitchen counter then very firmly rolling it out with a rolling pin rubbed the sides of the inside of the tube together. This quickly dispatched the offending gunk.

Not a bad idea for those who have already gunked it up. In the future, you can also use oxyclean. Better yet, you should go to Lowes and get a vinyl blowoff tube that fits into the ID of your carboy lip. The large diameter helps!

Finally, I accidentally used about twice the priming sugar called for (corn sugar). The ale was great for about two to three weeks after bottling, but eventually the yeast ate the extra corn sugar and created too much carbonation, too much alcohol, and degraded the flavor.

Yah, live and learn, bradah. Lucky you don't have bottle bombs!

Overall, the first batch turned out very well. I was surprised that despite the issues above, I enjoyed drinking most of it.

Keep frequenting HBT, it'll only get better...I speak from experience. Good luck!

Home Depot also sells turkey fryers for around $38. I just bought one and man, what a difference. It will boil 7 gallons in 20 minutes. A must have in my opinion.

Glad to here that all in all your first batch turned out good. There is definitely a lot to be learned. Always remember RDWHAHB!!!

That's where I started too. When Thanksgiving comes around, run down to the Mal*Wart and pick up one or two of their $40 turkey fryer kits. You get the burner, a 30-qt kettle and a dial thermometer. Great deal. Then you take it outside, and you don't make the house all hot, and your boil gets going MUCH easier.
I am thinking of using a deep fryer as-well. It's starting to get hot here in Mass. Hate the thought of heating up the house.

I bet your anxious now to start your problem free second batch! I know I was. What helped me alot was documenting everything in a brew log. And of course all the help from these guys at HBT.

Sounds like the moral of the story is that despite the mistakes a good beer was made. Good to know as I hope to start my first batch soon. :ban:

I have noticed that many noobs such as myself worry A LOT about messing up the batch. Thankfully, the experienced ones have detailed out the Don't Worry approach to brewing. :)

You did better then most on your first brew! I brewed a lager at 84 degrees. The upside was it fermented in 46 hours!

Latest posts

Back