Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Leaded Beer, a Horror Story

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
boilmeimirish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Leaded Beer, a Horror Story

First off, I'll say that this board has helped me immensely, and that while this is my first post, I'm a long-time lurker.

So onto the horror story:

A friend and I recently brewed an extract 5 gal red ale, in which, through no fault of our own, 8 lead pellets (.177 cal., airgun pellets) were added sometime during the first 60 min. boil, into 3 gals of wort.

We didn't notice that they had entered the boil until we were tall-pouring from the BK into the primary bucket, as we watched and heard several pellets 'clink!' into the bottom of the bucket.

You can only imagine the horrified look that was shared at this point in time.

After nearly 3 hours of carefully sanitizing the kitchen and all supplies, carefully measuring every AAU of hops and ounce of DME, after setting timers and thermometers and steeping grains to perfection, we had learned that something, somehow, had gone very, very f*cking wrong.

I know what you're thinking--how the hell did they get in there in the first place? I'll tell you! My next door neighbor's 10-year old daughter stuck them in as I was taking a quick toilet break. She was playing with my kid in the living room, and had only moments to act, but she found a way. This kid is like something straight out of a Stephen King novel, or Dante's Inferno-- She's Rosemary's Baby itself!

But let's not focus on my pure and unbridled hatred for a poorly parented kid or her pill-popping, Darwin-defying predecessors.

Never mind how the pellets got into the BK, the question is now this: Do I drink this stuff?

The pellets came out looking more copper-colored than 'lead silver', and the US dept. of health says that anything over 18ppb, yes, that's parts per BILLION of lead in a regular diet can be toxic in the long run.

What do YOU think?

~Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Brandonovich
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wouldn't chance it. It probably wouldn't taste very good anyway. Get the girl's parents to reimburse you and start over from scratch, that's what I would do.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Verify exactly what the pellets were. In my opinion, if they truly are lead, dump it. I don't believe they use lead anymore for this application though, you might be in the clear. Bottom line, find out what they were. When in doubt (for this) dump.

*EDIT* Could very well be lead, I was wrong. Dump it.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What a kind gesture of neighborly affection for you to bottle and give the entire batch to the girls parents. Oh what a sweet guy you are.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
jsweet
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilmeimirish View Post
The pellets came out looking more copper-colored than 'lead silver', and the US dept. of health says that anything over 18ppb, yes, that's parts per BILLION of lead in a regular diet can be toxic in the long run.
"in the long run" is the key phrase there. Particularly if you are not going to be giving this beer to young children -- which you shouldn't anyway, yeesh! -- I would not really be concerned about lead poisoning.

What I would be worried about is the taste. Taste it (I promise you a taste will not hurt you) and if it tastes bad from the metal, well then, there's your answer. If it tastes fine, I'd be inclined to drink it... especially, as others said, it very well might not be actual lead but rather a substitute.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
drocu
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I wouldn't be worried either. Most of the concern regarding lead poisoning is about young children or pregnant women where development would be adversely affected by lead. Since you're brewing your own beer, I'm guessing this won't be a problem. Plus it's one batch. Bottoms up I say.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
Cowbizzoy
Recipes 

You say they look more copper color than lead.... are they soft like lead or hard like copper? I sure wouldn't worry if they're copper....

Too much work keeping this current...

There is stuff in the pipeline...

Old 06-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
boilmeimirish
Recipes 

Thanks for the responses so far!

They are, unfortunately, lead. (http://amj-gadgets.com/Crosman+Benja...821404855.html)

Soft like lead, they were taken from a case of pellets I had in the living room. As far as getting reimbursed goes, forget about it. This girl's parents are so drugged out they wouldn't recognize justice if it slapped them in the face.

Lead poisoning is one thing, but what about all that 'birth defects' crap? http://www.onlinelawyersource.com/birth-defects/lead/

Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
brewmcq
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 2724

Either way, I wouldn't worry. Depending on how old the plumbing in your house (and/or town) is, you probably get a lot more daily lead exposure than eight tiny pellets can give out.

Relax, don't worry and all that. :-)

What do YOU want out of this hobby? It's your hobby. Do it the way YOU want to do it. Don't depend on the rest of us to tell you how to do it.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
TomStew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
What a kind gesture of neighborly affection for you to bottle and give the entire batch to the girls parents. Oh what a sweet guy you are.
Do this. This guy here is a genius! haha

Quick Reply