Late hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhamsteelerfan

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been reading quite a bit about late hop additions, and I think I might want to try this technique out with my next batch. I'm making a Belgian IPA - basically trying to get some similar to Stone's Cali-Belique. I was planning on boiling 14 aau of Warrior for the standard 60 minutes, then I was going to add 1 oz. of Centennial at the 50-minute mark. Finally, I was going to dry hop with .5 oz of Cascade and .5 oz of Centennial. If I wanted to try late additions, what do you think the hop schedule is that I should use? Also, can I use what I already have or would I need more, less, or different hops? For example, is Warrior okay for a shorter boil? I would like my brew to have a bitterness of around IBUs. I'm also trying late extract addition on this one as well.

Warrior is more of a bittering hop, so I wouldn't add it later than the 30-minute mark.

You could mix a half-ounce each of Cascade and Centennial, then add half of the mixture with 15 minutes remaining in the boil, and the remaining half with 5 minutes remaining.

You didn't actually list how many IBUs you're shooting for. I made some assumptions, and came up with 80-85 for the hopping schedule that you have + the late boil additions. That's slightly greater than Stone gives for their Cali-Belguiqe (77), but pretty close.

Thanks for the reply. Went with an ounce of Magnum for 30 minutes and an ounce of Centennial for 10. Am going to dry hop with Chinook and Cascade. The smell out of the airlock is really, really good.

Back