Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > late extract questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default late extract questions

Doing my 3rd brew this coming weekend, and plan on doing a late extract this time around, but had a few questions.

I'll be brewing AHS Bavarian hefe kit, which has 6# DME. I was thinking I'll add the lme at 60, and the DME at flame out. Any foreseeable problems with this?

I have read that doing late extract can increase the bitterness of the beer. Is this accurate? How can I adjust the kit to account for the extra bitterness? Or should I just follow the hop schedule in the kit?

And lastly, It will be my first time using an immersion worth chiller. How can I keep lme and DME from gunking up the chiller lines and making a sticky mess? It seems to dissolve pretty quickly when I do normal addition, so I'm not even really sure this will be a problem. I suppose I can pour more slowly than usual and only in the center, giving me a bit of room to stir.

the best thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Last edited by MisterClean; 04-08-2013 at 10:53 PM. Reason: corrected DME volume

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 463 Times on 430 Posts
Likes Given: 209

The idea behind the late extract addition is to improve color and minimize the maillard reaction which some will claim creates a "twang" in the taste or additional carmelization of the malts.

Ideally you use 25-50% of the extract at the beginning and the balance at the end. In a full boil setting you will achieve better hop utilization but IMO, there is no need to adjust the hop schedule.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

How big of a boil are u planning. The late extract additions deal wiht keeping the color lighter. Longer boils, especially in partial boils, say 2-3 gallons will lead to darker colored beer. Ive read on here of people pitching all their extract within the last 15-20 minutes just to sterilize it and they didn't say anything about affecting the taste.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It will be a 60 minute 6.5 gallon boil (5 gallon batch).

the best thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
manisfive
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you were doing a partial boil it would probably balance out (hop wise.) In the full boil the hop utilization will be higher. I use beer Smith to figure it for my wort.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
MisterClean
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Looking at Beersmith (which is a super useful program, need to buy a key), it looks like if I do 3# at the start and 3# after flame-out, I'll be alright. Estimated IBU will be 12.8, which is just fine for the style, and it really helps the estimated color as well.

I figure to keep the cooler clean, my plan is to boil the cooler the last 15, then pull it with some tongs and just hold it out above the wort while I stir in the DME. The few seconds it'll be exposed to the air probably won't hurt anything.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Maybe it's just me, but I always do the DME first, 60 minute addition, and then add the LME in the last ten minutes, turn down the heat and stir well of course.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 04-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1950 Times on 1709 Posts
Likes Given: 1442

Yeah,I use the DME in the boil,since it doesn't darken as quickly as LME. I do partial boils of 3.5 gallons in a 5 gallon BK/MT,even with PM BIAB. Just use 3lbs of the DME in your boil for hop additions,adding all remaining extracts at flame out. And partial boils,even for a full hour,will not darken the beer any more than a full boil would. The late extract additions take care of that whether full boil or partial.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 AM   #9
GASoline71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I always do the DME first, 60 minute addition, and then add the LME in the last ten minutes, turn down the heat and stir well of course.
I do the exact same thing.

Gary

"Brewed Fresh from the North End of Puget Sound"

Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
croakerj
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Yes

Quick Reply