Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late Extract.... Forgot Extract..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #1
mosquitocontrol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Late Extract.... Forgot Extract..

So in doing a late extract, forgot the late extract. Mixed it back in but never got it back to a boil. probably was in there 5 minutes before i started cooling it down.

Now I read should pasteurize it which would mean it should have been in there longer...10-15 minutes

Just relax with my brews and forget about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

I'm sure it's fine. The extract was already processed, so it was pretty darn sanitary when you opened it.

I make cheese, and I only heat my milk to 165 degrees for 15 seconds to pasteurize it. If that's enough for milk from a farm animal, I would guess that your boiling wort was enough to sanitize your extract. I have no bacteriology to back me up, of course. I'm just thinking of how much worse we've done to our beers and they've turned out great!

Old 04-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #3
newbeerpig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 2 Posts

You answered your own question... Just relax, should be OK

Planning: Firestone DBA (2), Irish Red Ale
Favorites: Black Dog Blackberry Wheat Ale(3),Hush Puppy Cream Ale, Firestone DBA Clone, Coffee and Cream Stout

Old 04-12-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeah 20 batches on extract and still making mistakes... Damn home runs and hits in the game were distracting!

Also just realized I inadvertently watered down my other batch by filling it to 6 gallons instead of 5. Oh well at least I can pound it when the weather is hot!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Small beers, hot weather and lawn mowing. (Reminds me I need to put the charger on mine.)

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-12-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Figbash
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

BTDT.

I normally add 2/3 of my DME at flameout and never reboil. There is plenty of latent heat in 5 gallons of wort to sanitize the DME.

Tom

Old 04-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
skatensx
Recipes 

when you do late extract at flameout, do you add your hops at the same time the recipe calls for?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatensx View Post
when you do late extract at flameout, do you add your hops at the same time the recipe calls for?
Yes. You may want to run the recipe through some software, though, to make sure that the hopping is still what you want. Lower gravity boils cause better hops utilization, so you can get more bittering out of the same number of bittering hops. Not a problem with many beers, but it a lower IBU beer, you may want to reduce the bittering hops about 25%. We can run it through some software to help you out.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #9
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
Lower gravity boils cause better hops utilization
No they don't; this is a common home brewing myth that the major players (e.g. Palmer) are only starting to work to correct since about a year ago.

Hops utilization is independent of gravity.

More break material causes decreased utilization, but that's a function of total break--so assuming you're talking about 2 beers using the same fermentables, the one with the bigger OG will have lower utilization. But late vs. early addition shouldn't affect that much, if at all (since the total amount of break material is the same).

And it's worth remembering that it's really not a function of gravity but of break material (if you get a lot of gravity from simple sugars, that doesn't hurt utilization because it generates almost no break; if you have a low gravity but all from wheat or rye, that'll hurt utilization significantly because of all the break they generate).

This is something that the most common home brewing IBU estimation formulas get wrong (hence most brewing software gets it wrong as well).

For more info (including a link to an interview with John Palmer on the subject) and links see: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/est...te-art-109681/

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 04-12-2009, 09:14 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Yes, I've heard that there is some change in the thinking. Whether or not it really is independent of boil gravity, when I personally started adding extract late in the boil (or doing full boils with extract), my beer was more bitter. My personal experience is that I need to reduce only the bittering hops by 25%. My Dead Guy at the "regular" partial boil didn't have a strong bittering, but once I tried it with adding the extract late, to my mind it was about twice as bitter.

Later, I got some software and ran the numbers and the IBUs jumped from 15 to about 28 in the software. I thought to myself, "yeah, that seems about right to what I taste".

So, whether or not Palmer said it, and then changed his mind or not- I can honestly say that in my experience the bittering does change.

Quick Reply