The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late extract brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
goat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late extract brewing

Can someone tell me the pros and cons to late extract brewing? When do you add it? Are you just boiling hops and water until you add it? Does the beer come out better?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

THere are a ton of threads on LEA on here. THis one looks pretty thorough.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/extr...brewing-77656/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
robertbartsch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

...liquid and dry extract is merely wort that has already been boiled and then most the water is removed for storage and shipping purposes; right?...

Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
goat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
...liquid and dry extract is merely wort that has already been boiled and then most the water is removed for storage and shipping purposes; right?...
Sounds good to me?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Can someone tell me the pros and cons to late extract brewing? When do you add it? Are you just boiling hops and water until you add it? Does the beer come out better?
Late extract additions are a method for extract brewers who do not (or cannot) boil the full amount of wort. Boiling highly concentrated wort can cause the extract to carmelize, which darkens the beer and affects the flavor. Some also believe you get poor hop utilization, meaning you'd need more hops to reach the recipe's appropriate number of IBUs.

I use the late addition method all the time. It's debateable whether hop utilization improves, but there's no question that you get lighter beer.

The way I brew is I add 20% of the extract at the beginning of the boil, then the remaining amount when there's 20 minutes left. The pic below is the most recent beer I brewed using this method with DME. As you can see you can get very light colored beer.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedTail View Post
Late extract additions are a method for extract brewers who do not (or cannot) boil the full amount of wort.[/IMG]
Not necessarily true. The logic is that the extract has already been boiled so there is no need to do it again. Whether full boil or not.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
goat
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Not necessarily true. The logic is that the extract has already been boiled so there is no need to do it again. Whether full boil or not.
So what is the solution, boil hops and water for 60 min and add Malt extract?

Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #8
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, some people like to boil a very small portion of the extract for the full duration and then add the bulk of it at the end. I don't find that to be necessary. When I do extract, I steep my grain as usual, bring to boil, add hops per recipe and boil down to the last ten minutes and add the extract. I do like to boil the extract for just a few minutes to make sure it gets sanitized. I also don't want to be trying to add my finishing hops and extract at the same time. This method also lets the liquid boil down so there is more room in the kettle when you add the extract = less chance of boilover.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used to add it all at the start then moved to half and half. Now I add all of it the last couple minutes of the boil and i have been getting considerably better and clearer beers. So I add 0 extract at the beginning.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
robertbartsch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I asked this question but in a slightly different mannor; Do I need to boil extract wort for 1 hour"

This question was asked in in effort to identify steps that might shorten the normal brewing day.

No one who responded suggested there was a scientific reason to boil extract for 1 hour as recommended in virtually all receipes. For the most part, people said boiling was necessary for hopps bittering which normally takes no longer than 1/2 hour.

Yeh, people also said the "long" boiling time will further darken the beer/wort and furrther carmalize sugars.....

Quick Reply