Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late extract addition seems to work, but

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
ed_brews_now
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Late extract addition seems to work, but

I brewed my usually ale (Belgian ale yeast -- no candied sugar additions, hopped 20 IBUs) recipe, but this time I did late extract addition. With a 6lb all pilsner extract I put 1lb at the beginning of the boil. At 20 minutes I put in the remainder and let it boil backup. (Advice: boil overs are a tendency at this point so watch carefully.)

The wort came out much noticeably lighter in color than when I did the full boil with this recipe.

I am guessing that I will have a lower final gravity and that it will be less sweet.

My worry is the taste. I enjoy my usual recipe -- and I think it is because of sweetness of the caramelized un-fermentable sugar that resulted from the long boil and which also causes the darker color.

Also, I am guessing that the sweetness masks a lot of off flavors since it may be the case that a dryer finish exposes more off ale flavours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #2
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are making a Belgian-style beer I think the lower FG would be a positive, as low FG is a desirable characteristic to the Belgians. Personally, if I was shooting for a sweeter taste and higher FG in a Belgian I'd get that through caramel malts like Aromatic or Special B than through carmelization of sugar in the boil.

But, if you enjoy the taste from boiling all the extract than by all means do that....if you are listing the positives from doing the late extract addition as drawbacks for your particular recipe there isn't really a reason to do them at all, right?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
ed_brews_now
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIT_Warrior View Post
But, if you enjoy the taste from boiling all the extract than by all means do that....if you are listing the positives from doing the late extract addition as drawbacks for your particular recipe there isn't really a reason to do them at all, right?
I am curious as to whether the theory of what it should taste like with late extract matches the final outcome. It is all for experimentation. Maybe I might enjoy this new one more.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #4
ed_brews_now
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

More precisely I am curious to see if off flavors and hops are easier to taste in a dryer beer.

Quick Reply