The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late extract addition help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 AM   #1
impulserush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late extract addition help

This is the recipe I am going to do. I could not figure out the hops schedule on when to add them as to not make it to bitter. Can someone look at this and help me through doing a late extract addition?
https://www.highgravitybrew.com/docs...utBrownAle.pdf

Do you think this will be ok if I follow the hop schedule they have listed? How much of the LME and DME should I add in the beginning and when should I add the rest.

Thanks

PENNSYLVANIA REDNECK HOME BREWER!

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Drinking:Belgian Wit. Hophead IPA, Weyerbacher Big Brews

Wine:
Drinking: Pomigranite Zin.Black Berry Merlot

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 AM   #2
FreakinA
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No NO! dont eat the extract! add it to the pot!

Guy Fawkes Pale Ale
Bottled:
Gunslinger Pale
Elephantine Pale Ale
On Tap
60 Minute IPA

Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
impulserush
Recipes 

Funny, Need help Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakinA View Post
No NO! dont eat the extract! add it to the pot!

Wine:

Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
uncleozzy
Recipes 

According to the kit specs, you're shooting for 22-25 IBU. How much are you planning on boiling? I generally boil 2.5 gallons, so in that case, if you add all the extract and follow the kit hops schedule, you'll wind up with 2.5 gallons of ~45 IBU wort. Dilute it to 5 gallons, and you're right in your 22-25 range.

If you want to do late addition, you could just add the DME at the start of the boil along with 1/2-3/4 oz of the Willamette (instead of the full ounce). You should wind up with similar bitterness.

(I did these calculations with Beer Calculus; YMMV.)

Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
DuckAssassin
Recipes 

Do you have the %AA on the hops you are using?

I think you would probably be fine to just use the DME at the beginning of the boil and pour in the LME either at flameout (and let sit for 10 minutes before cooling-John Palmer Method), or just add to the boil for the last 10 minutes (turn off the burner while adding the LME). Either would up your IBUs, but 22-25 is at the low end of the range for that beer anyway. BJCP guidlines give the range for 10C-American Brown Ale as 20-40 IBUs. With a 2 gallon boil you wont get anywhere near 40 IBUs.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
impulserush
Recipes 

ok, if I were to do so with the first hops, would I add them in or just leave them out all together? I do not have the AA% the kit is at home. And would I just stick to the regular schedule of hops for the rest of the boil? I will do a 2.5 gallon boil.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleozzy View Post
According to the kit specs, you're shooting for 22-25 IBU. How much are you planning on boiling? I generally boil 2.5 gallons, so in that case, if you add all the extract and follow the kit hops schedule, you'll wind up with 2.5 gallons of ~45 IBU wort. Dilute it to 5 gallons, and you're right in your 22-25 range.

If you want to do late addition, you could just add the DME at the start of the boil along with 1/2-3/4 oz of the Willamette (instead of the full ounce). You should wind up with similar bitterness.

Wine:

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
impulserush
Recipes 

I do not mind a higher bittered beer. I did the BB Holiday ale and that IBU was 68-74. And I like it. If I were to use all the hops with the late addition will it be overkill on the IBUs?

Thanks

Wine:

Old 12-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleozzy View Post

That's not accurate, I'm afraid. If you add all the extract at the beginning of the boil, the extreme density of the wort will negatively extract hop utilization. By doing a late extract addition, you significantly improve your utilization.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
That's not accurate, I'm afraid. If you add all the extract at the beginning of the boil, the extreme density of the wort will negatively extract hop utilization. By doing a late extract addition, you significantly improve your utilization.
Isn't that what I said? I calculated (assuming a 2.5-gallon boil) ~1.130, ~35-45 IBU wort using all the bittering hops and all the extract. Using only the DME and all the hops, you wind up with more like ~60-75 IBU. If you want to do late addition and wind up with similar bitterness, reduce the bittering hops until you wind up with ~35-45 IBU in your (pre-top-up) wort.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
uncleozzy
Recipes 

(I should add that, hell, I'd just use all the hops... you can't really wind up with more than 50 IBU, and you'll be more in the 30-35 range, so I'd go for it.)

Quick Reply