The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > late extract addition and full boils?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
cpz28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default late extract addition and full boils?

I've heard that the late extract addition isn't recommended for full boils. Is there a good reason? I ask because prior to doing full boils I always used it for taste/ color. Now that I am doing full boils I would like to continue to use it in order to produce lighter colored beer. Is there any reason I shouldn' t do it? I know it probably messes with the hop utilization a bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #2
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It will mess with hop utilization quite a lot actaully. The reason for late additions is to...

1. Aid in poor hop utilization in partial boils.
2. Keep the color from darkening too much do too the greater concentrarion of sugars.

With a full boil, the wort won't darken quite as much, and your hop utilization is normal. If you do a late extract, you would either end up with an extremelly bitter beer (much more so than intended) or a beer lacking in any hop character at all, depending on how you fixed the hop scheduling.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 06-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
paul_h
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Seconded.
The only way you can match up your hop additions with recipes is to have malt in with the hops. You could try adding just half the malt to try keep the colour lighter and compare that to a full malt boil as far as hop flavour, aroma and bitterness.
Experiment and go with your own opinions and taste buds.
But if you are folowing someone elses recipe and they did a full boil and you didn't, you won't be drinking the same beer they made, it might be too bitter or not enough flavour.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
Baron ken
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I would think late extract addition with a full boil would be a way to save on hops. Cut back your bittering hops by 10% and see how you like it. 10% doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.

EDIT: I meant 10% for every 5 lbs. DME. This was just a rough estimate. YMMV.

Last edited by Baron ken; 06-30-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 AM   #5
cpz28
Recipes 

I just want to avoid that nasty carmely extract flavor. I fear it like the plague, since I neglected to mention that.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:39 AM   #6
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

There's no reason you can't do late extract addition with a full boil. As others have mentioned, you'll have to adjust your hopping schedule, but you have to do that with late-addition partial boils, too. IIRC, at least one of the common brewing programs will actually do this for you.

As far as the "nasty carmely extract flavor"...are you using LME or DME? Might be the LME "twang" you're tasting?

Old 07-01-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
ruppe
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Expand upon the LME "twang". This is the first I have heard of this. I brew exclusively ales, due to temperature constraints, and prefer them on the darker side. I partial mash, and use LME way more than DME, and always partil boil. Is this a flavor preference, or does my process just avoid this?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:11 AM   #8
cpz28
Recipes 

I only use DME, I loathe LME. Prior to doing full boils I did a DIPA using 8 lbs of DME. I neglected to do the late extract addition and it has this carmelized type of flavor (60 min boil). Ever since when doing partial boils and using the late extract addition I never experienced the flavor again, aswell as produced some extremely light colored beer (that would have easily brought through that carmel taste do to them being lower hopped lighter beers like pale ale and wits). In my experience LME produced a distinct twang, while DME did not, it produces a carmel flavor when all the dme was boiled for 60 min in a partial boil. If you guys are telling me that if I do a full volume boil and have all the DME in there the whole time and it won't produce the carmel flavor, then amen. I have a few great recipes that have only been done as partail boil late extract additions that I would now like to do as full boils. If I were to spend all that money, not do the late extract addition and have the carmelized flavor i'd be sad. So having all that extra water in the boil causes the beer to be lighter without the late extract addition as well as voids the scorched/carmel flavor? I sincerly want to know as many of you guys are more knowledgeable/seasoned brewers than myself. Thanks again in advance for all the feedback guys, I've learned so much on this forum.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

For my taste it is more of a harshness that I don't think should be there, late extract additions helped a bit but I'm not doing my first two AG batches to see if what I picture as reality actually is.
And on topic, I would think the only issue would be the hops absorption, just cut it back and you may be able to make some killer blonde ales, etc. Please let us know how it comes out.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #10
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't think it's not recommended as much as it's not necessary.

Quick Reply