HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Enter Now

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Late addition malt extract question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
RRR_BrewCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Late addition malt extract question

Hi All,

I am planning on brewing a Brewers Best European Bock kit this weekend and was looking to make a few tweaks. I have read on several threads here that saving some of the malt extract and adding it during the last 15 minutes of the boil is a way to improve the overall quality of your beer. The kit comes with 6.6 pounds of Munich LME and 2 pounds of light DME. If I wanted to use some of this for a late addition, which should I go with and how much of it should I save for that last 15 minutes. Advanced thanks to you all. Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5424 Times on 3906 Posts
Likes Given: 1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR_BrewCo View Post
Hi All,

I am planning on brewing a Brewers Best European Bock kit this weekend and was looking to make a few tweaks. I have read on several threads here that saving some of the malt extract and adding it during the last 15 minutes of the boil is a way to improve the overall quality of your beer. The kit comes with 6.6 pounds of Munich LME and 2 pounds of light DME. If I wanted to use some of this for a late addition, which should I go with and how much of it should I save for that last 15 minutes. Advanced thanks to you all. Cheers!
I'd start with the 2 pounds of DME at the beginning, and add the liquid malt extract (LME) at the end of the boil.

Vote for me for the AHA Governing Committee- Lorena Evans
http://www.homebrewersassociation.or...ttee/election/

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 12-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I'd start with the 2 pounds of DME at the beginning, and add the liquid malt extract (LME) at the end of the boil.
This!

Old 01-05-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
OmahaJoe
Recipes 

I am planning on doing almost the same thing this Saturday with a Scotch Ale kit from BB. I am adding 3 lbs of DME For the sole reason of bringing my ABV up slightly. The kit comes with 3.3 lbs of LME. I would be very interested in hearing what you decided to do and what everyone means by "start" and "end" of the boil. This will be my first brew so I am looking for any advise/suggestions. My initial reaction to adding the LME at the "end" is that is 6+ lbs of malt that won't get a full boil and maybe not get all the sugars out of it that you could? From what I have read, that will leave you with a hazy beer because of starch haze, but again I am so new to this and probably wrong.

Old 01-05-2012, 04:09 AM   #5
baldben
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think the main improvement from late extract addition is hop utilization. This will increase the bitterness of your beer. I think it also prevents darkening of the wort. All the sugars have been taken out of the grain for you, so it's not a worry with extract. It does, however, need to be fully dissolved and pasteurized. Adding at the end of the boil with stirring could probably achieve this.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2581 Times on 2244 Posts
Likes Given: 1847

I use DME in the boil,& add the LME at flame out. you do not need to boil the snot out of it for ten or fifteen minutes. Adding the LME at flame out is fine. I do it all the time. chill it down in an ice bath in 20 minutes,& no chill haze,starch haze,etc. Nada. Zipo. No worries there,m8.
The lighter wort gives better hop utilization,& saving the LME till flame out eliminates the "twang" associated with darkening,or caramelization of the LME. & the residual heat at flame out is more than enough to pasteurize it,which happens around 160-170F. No need to boil it to get the effect.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #7
brtisbuck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Many here have said that due to the better hops utilization from a lower gravity boil that your beer will be more bitter as a result of late addition. An adjustment in your bittering (or 60 min) hops would correct this, but I'm too new at this to say how much.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
OmahaJoe
Recipes 

That helps thanks for the replies everyone!

@unionrdr - How long should I boil the DME then? It is only 3 lbs

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2581 Times on 2244 Posts
Likes Given: 1847

I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in my partial boils. Once the water is boiling,add the 1.5lbs of DME,stirring till clumps dissolve. Then there's a mini hot break for 3 minutes or so. Then proceed with whatever hop additions/times for them.
Then add the remaining DME at the end. If you're adding LME,add it all at flame out off the heat source. Your beer will be cleaner tasting & lighter in color.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
OmahaJoe
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in my partial boils. Once the water is boiling,add the 1.5lbs of DME,stirring till clumps dissolve. Then there's a mini hot break for 3 minutes or so. Then proceed with whatever hop additions/times for them.
Then add the remaining DME at the end. If you're adding LME,add it all at flame out off the heat source. Your beer will be cleaner tasting & lighter in color.
Thanks for the advise, that sounds great to me! I just finished this morning and it is fermenting now. Hoping for the best!

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS