Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Lagers without tempreture control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
cstacey44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Default Lagers without tempreture control

Hello,
Ive been tempted to move onto brewing a lager style beer (like festa brew Blonde Lager). Most of the kits appear to use the following yeast :Saflager S-23

The yeast recommends you ferment between 9-15 Celsius. I am fairly new to brewing, and I dont have the equipment to control the tempreture of the fermentation. The room that I have been using is typically around 20-22 Celcius.

Has anyone tried fermenting a lager yeast at this tempreture range? Can I simply ferment at this tempreture, and then lager later on once its bottled?

Just wondering if I should bother, or stick with Ales.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #2
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Lagering is just essentially cold temperature fermentation. It takes longer to complete but it produces some nice clean smooth tasting beers. You could use a dual purpose yeast like nottingham that does well in a wide range of temperatures or just hold off on lagering until you can control your fermentation temperature.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.
cstacey44 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4272 Times on 3112 Posts
Likes Given: 820

A 20-22 degree room is even a bit on the warm side for most ales, and I wouldn't attempt a lager until maybe winter or late fall when you may have a cooler place.

I'd try my best to even keep my ales at 20 C or under, and since fermentation creates heat sometimes I hit 20C with my fermenting beer even in a room where the ambient temperature is 17C.

cstacey44 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

yeah, you're not lagering without the temp control. Steam beer is a style that involves brewing with lager yeast at ale temps - but you get a lot different product. The esters and yeasty flavors come out pretty heavily - exactly the opposite of what you're going for in a lager.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You'd be better off using an ale yeast at those temps. You have to ferment it in the temperature range specified to get the clean lager flavor. I'd hold off until you get temperature control in hand before tackling a lager (or ales for that matter, but I digress). That being said, there are some very inexpensive ways of controlling your temp. Do a search for "swamp cooler". I personally use an igloo cooler for my lagers, and they turn out quite well. I use a glass carboy for primary fermentation, put that in a 60 qt Ice Cube Igloo cooler with water filled to the level of the wort. Swap out ice bottles to maintain near 50F, it works well.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

You live in Ontario, you have winter. DO what many folks who live in our 4 season's climate and brew seasonally, brewing lagers in the cooler times of year. Here's I how lagered the last couple years in the winter. Ugly junk 2012, Ghetto Lagering Chamber

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

cstacey44 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Seasonal brewing is great. Although I have a controlled fermentation chamber, I don't do lagers, except in the winter. My brewery was originally an attached, but unheated garage. In the winter, the temperature is ideal for fermenting lagers. The new garage is completely uninsulated and tends to sit around freezing. The only heat is gets is a small trickle through the brewery wall. It's just right for lagering.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

cstacey44 Likes This 
Old 09-18-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
cstacey44
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Hmm, ive got an attached unheated garage, i'll put a thermometer out there and see how cold it gets in the winter time. Here in Ottawa, overnight temps can drop pretty low at night in the dead of winter.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstacey44 View Post
Hmm, ive got an attached unheated garage, i'll put a thermometer out there and see how cold it gets in the winter time. Here in Ottawa, overnight temps can drop pretty low at night in the dead of winter.
That's why you use a setup with a cheap temp controller and a heater to keep the liquid above freezing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstacey44 View Post
as a former native of ottawa (actually aylmer, across the river) i can assure you that it will eventually get too cold, even inside your garage. that probably won't happen until december but it will happen. so i would count on being able to lager in late fall and early spring, but not in february.

lagers need to be lagered for several weeks/month, so the challenge is to find a time of year when you have a long enough window of cold-but-not-freezing temps. you might have to keep an eye on that garage thermometer and be ready to spring into action once it starts dipping below zero inside the garage.

revvy': your ghetto-chamber is one of the coolest things i've seen on here recently.

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Quick Reply