Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > lack of flavor in pale ale... wtf?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
bmbigda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
First thing that jumped out to me (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) is your water type: distilled.

I know people argue that extract has minerals in it, but wouldn't you want to use spring water??
agreed. Think of brewing with completely distilled water like cooking without salt. I'm sure it's not the sole cause of your problem, but the appropriate water chemistry acts as a vehicle for flavor in a beer. I realize the extract has it, but only to an extent that I believe to minimal.

But like I said, I doubt it can take 100% of the blame
Old 08-23-2012, 05:39 PM   #22
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbigda View Post
agreed. Think of brewing with completely distilled water like cooking without salt. I'm sure it's not the sole cause of your problem, but the appropriate water chemistry acts as a vehicle for flavor in a beer. I realize the extract has it, but only to an extent that I believe to minimal.

But like I said, I doubt it can take 100% of the blame
Then again, like many have mentioned before: It's hard to not go all-grain when different producers of extract likely use different ingredients. Who knows what is in those packets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #23
spabrewer
Recipes 

Overpitching, overaerating, overmixing and in general too vigorous fermentation will strip aroma out. I had a similar problem before and, knowing the hops were enough, results improved when fermentation slowed down. Ideally keeping a back pressure in fermenter can help too. Target is that aroma is as close as possible at beginning and of fermentation

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply