Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > lack of flavor in pale ale... wtf?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
McGarnigle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I dunno, seems like a good recipe to me. Do you like APAs? They won't taste like IPAs in terms of malt or hops. Did others taste it and have complaints?

You didn't leave out the Victory? That would add some flavor. Also, 0.5 lbs of Munich extract seems like it wouldn't do much. You can bump that up a good bit (although most APAs wouldn't use it at all).

BTW, I believe these recipes are created as all-grain and converted to extract. That's why you have things like 1/2 pound of two LMEs. That's stupid as very few places sell LME in those amounts and it doesn't store well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #12
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_dub4t View Post
Hops were the proper alpha acids, and used Beersmith to adjust the quantities so that the IBU's would be the same as Jamil's recipe (using Rager formula).

I got the hops from Austin Homebrew Online, so I assuming they were of decent quality.
All I can say is that sometimes you have to change recipes to your taste. Up the darker extracts, and up the later addition hops. Also consider dry-hopping. How long did you ferment? Hop aroma dissipates over time. I like my APA/IPA's young. As soon as I hit FG I raise to room-temp and dry-hop or keg...depending on the recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #13
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 88

The swap of Extra Light DME in place of Light DME will definitely have an impact on the malt profile, so that could at least partially explain that.

One thing I don't think I've seen asked though, is how long you steeped your flameout hops. Did you dump them in and immediately begin chilling, or did you dump them in, whirlpool, and then give them 20 minutes or so to steep? That will have a big impact on how much hop character the beer picks up from that flamout addition, and could be a big factor in why you're not picking up as much as you're expecting to.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
j_dub4t
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
The swap of Extra Light DME in place of Light DME will definitely have an impact on the malt profile, so that could at least partially explain that.

One thing I don't think I've seen asked though, is how long you steeped your flameout hops. Did you dump them in and immediately begin chilling, or did you dump them in, whirlpool, and then give them 20 minutes or so to steep? That will have a big impact on how much hop character the beer picks up from that flamout addition, and could be a big factor in why you're not picking up as much as you're expecting to.
I'm willing to bet that this is the case, on both points.

I guess I just wasnt expecting that much of a dropoff on an extra pale vs a pale extract. Honestly, it barely tastes like there is anything there. Almost like I bought a coors light ingredient kit or something.

I know that both Jamil and Tasty are big on letting it sit for 10-20 minutes before chilling. This is certainly something that I didnt do. Great points.

And McGarnigle- I believe you may be correct about the AG to extract. Especially since some of these recipes call for English Pale LME and Rauch LME, neither of which seem to be readily available anywhere that I have looked.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #15
j_dub4t
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It is a bit frustrating to be unsure of what is going to happen when using malt extract. Even when I contact the sellers, they are unsure as to the exact grains/amounts that are used, and how the extract was made (mash temp, etc). Makes it a bit difficult to maintain a consistent process with these unknowns.

Perhaps its time to go all-grain? Then I can only blame myself for inconsistencies.

Thanks a lot for your feedback everyone!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #16
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
It is a bit frustrating to be unsure of what is going to happen when using malt extract.

Perhaps its time to go all-grain? Then I can only blame myself for inconsistencies.
You just described why everyone who goes all-grain makes the decision...that and cost.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4782 Times on 3477 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Hops were the proper alpha acids, and used Beersmith to adjust the quantities so that the IBU's would be the same as Jamil's recipe (using Rager formula).

I got the hops from Austin Homebrew Online, so I assuming they were of decent quality.
You only adjust the bittering hops to get the same IBUs, not the flavor/aroma hops. A .5 ounce flavor or aroma addition is just that- and not to be changed due to AAUs. But it seems like you actually used more hops than in the recipe, doubling the 10 minute addition?

It's not a super hoppy recipe, but it should have some hoppy flavor and aroma from the 10 minute and 0 minute additions. I'm really puzzled.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
You only adjust the bittering hops to get the same IBUs, not the flavor/aroma hops. A .5 ounce flavor or aroma addition is just that- and not to be changed due to AAUs. But it seems like you actually used more hops than in the recipe, doubling the 10 minute addition?

It's not a super hoppy recipe, but it should have some hoppy flavor and aroma from the 10 minute and 0 minute additions. I'm really puzzled.
My point was really that not all hops are created equally. We understand IBU's...I don't know that there's really a measurement for flavor from hops...but my guess is that it will vary.

Quote:

Old 08-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

First thing that jumped out to me (and please, correct me if I'm wrong) is your water type: distilled.

I know people argue that extract has minerals in it, but wouldn't you want to use spring water??

Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #20
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you have a lot of blow off during fermentation? This can cause a loss of hop flavor.

Quick Reply