Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Krausen not falling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 AM   #1
atxstanley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Krausen not falling

I've seen a couple of threads on here about this, but there has never been an answer that I really found to be sufficient. To start off, I'm brewing a Kolsch from a kit by Austin Hombrew (extract kit with steeping grains), specifically the Texas Kolsch. It's been in my fridge sitting between 64-59 degrees for the past 12 days and the krausen hasn't fallen really at all after a fairly slow and long fermentation. Last night however i decided to give the carboy a decent shaking and sloshing (not much, just enough to kick the beer up a little on the sides and agitate the whole thing). Some of the krausen remnants started to fall (small green chunks smaller than gravel). My question is, should I use this process over time to help sink the krausen, or should I just sit back and wait? What about even just transfering to the secondary for cold conditioning as is? Is it bad for the beer that I made the krausen fall prematurely?

Secondary: Empty
Bottled: AHS Southern Brown Ale
Kegged: Purple Haze Clone, Apfelwein, Texas Kolsch, Irish Red Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #2
Irishcrazy2005
Recipes 

Are you sure that it's not just krausen stuck to the walls of the carboy? This happens on every brew of mine, so even though the krausen has fallen it looks like it is still there.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #3
atxstanley
Recipes 

There is krausen stuck to the walls of the carboy, however there is a layer of greenish krausen that has thinned but never really subsided (its interspersed with bubbles too). Whenever I give the carboy a shake little pieces of it fall to the bottom, I'm just not sure if this is the way I have to get the krausen to fall (this is my first time using a fridge to ferment). Also, I'm not sure if this will necessarily impact the end resulting beer in some negative way.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am not sure how much wheat was in your brew, but it was probably enough to form that thick, persistent krausen. Wheat in your beer also does the same thing with the head when poured. There are lots of proteins in wheat malt that help build and retain that creamy head, as well as your krausen.

Your beer is probably well past the krausen stage, but it sounds like there are still some remnants of the 'head' that didn't fall back into the beer. No big deal. Regardless, you need to check your gravity reading to see if the fermentation is complete or not. That's the only rule one needs to follow. Visual clues can be misleading.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM   #5
pfranco81
Recipes 

My Wit did the same thing, and it looks like my Honey Wheat is going to be the same as well. I'm just careful when I rack to stay above the trub and below the krausen.

Nothing.
Drinking : Apfelwein, and a Honey Wheat.

Medic: Young man, you've ingested a dangerous amount of alcohol!
Homer: The only dangerous amount is none!

Old 06-18-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
atxstanley
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
I am not sure how much wheat was in your brew, but it was probably enough to form that thick, persistent krausen. Wheat in your beer also does the same thing with the head when poured. There are lots of proteins in wheat malt that help build and retain that creamy head, as well as your krausen.

Your beer is probably well past the krausen stage, but it sounds like there are still some remnants of the 'head' that didn't fall back into the beer. No big deal. Regardless, you need to check your gravity reading to see if the fermentation is complete or not. That's the only rule one needs to follow. Visual clues can be misleading.
Ah, yes, of course. I used 1/4lb. of red wheat in the steeping grains and 2lbs. of wheat extract. That makes a lot of sense now. I didn't think about the wheat proteins initially. I'll also be taking a gravity check in the morning as well. Thanks a bunch

Do you think that sloshing the krausen until it all falls would affect the beer at all? I don't think it would, but I've been wrong before.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Some true top fermenting yeasts will remain on the surface after a healthy fermentation. US 56 (05) is one of these, it sounds like it's also trapped some hop debris up there but it's perfectly normal.
Beer that has been under-pitched doesn't tend to get this so it sounds like you've done a good job with that Kolsh.

Heres an example of what will often remain after a good ferment, you can culture and repitch it if you like

Old 06-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #8
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My Kolsch is doing the same thing it wont drop. I will just wait it out I am not worried if it takes two or 3 weeks to drop. I never do secondarys anymore so I can wait.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 06-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts

FYI, I just learned the other day that the technical term for "krausen stuck to the walls of the fermenter" is "braun hefe".

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM   #10
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

that's german for "brown yeast"

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote: