Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Kitty litter brewing company pilsner thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginalryan
from what i understand, if you use a lager yeast at ale temp (65ish) you are going to get some funk. Taste and i think some pretty unwanted alchohols. Is that your plan?
my understanding is that I picked the only lager yeast that that is not an issue for.....

please correct me if im wrong.

I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

California lager yeast is a lager strain that's fermented at ale temps. It's also known as a steam beer, but that's been trademarked by the Steam Beer Co. It's in the wiki! clicky

Quite honestly, I think you should not add the brown sugar at all and use LME or DME instead. It will most likely make it taste rather.... special. And not in a 'beautiful and unique snowflake' kind of special, either.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 01-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #13
theoriginalryan

Recipes 

from what Whitelabs says you CAN use that yeast up to 65F. Being that it is a lager yeast, i dont think i would push much beyond that. You are right tho, one of the few lager yeast that goes that high.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM   #14
claphamsa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ
California lager yeast is a lager strain that's fermented at ale temps. It's also known as a steam beer, but that's been trademarked by the Steam Beer Co. It's in the wiki! clicky

Quite honestly, I think you should not add the brown sugar at all and use LME or DME instead. It will most likely make it taste rather.... special. And not in a 'beautiful and unique snowflake' kind of special, either.

Ok, well that is one less worry.

I guess I should just stick with the light DME... Ive gotten lots of advice agasint eh brown sugar.

claphamsa on untappd

Old 01-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #15
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa
Ive gotten lots of advice agasint eh brown sugar.
Good. Brown sugar has no place in a Pilsner.

Really, you aren't making a Pilsner. Pilsners use German or Czech malts and, respectively, German or Czech hops. They are fermented at lower temperatures and lagered at even lower temperatures so that they are particularly clean and crisp. You might make a mighty tasty, lighter lager, but it's not a Pilsner.

I'm not trying to be ridiculously anal about styles, but I also don't want you to be disappointed when you find your beer is not so similar to Pilsners you may have had.

Have fun with it!

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #16
claphamsa

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexLaw
Good. Brown sugar has no place in a Pilsner.

Really, you aren't making a Pilsner. Pilsners use German or Czech malts and, respectively, German or Czech hops. They are fermented at lower temperatures and lagered at even lower temperatures so that they are particularly clean and crisp. You might make a mighty tasty, lighter lager, but it's not a Pilsner.

I'm not trying to be ridiculously anal about styles, but I also don't want you to be disappointed when you find your beer is not so similar to Pilsners you may have had.

Have fun with it!

TL

Yeah I realize that since im using an extract... and am still a beginer, that it will be different, I would be perfectly happy is a very hopy lagerish kinda thing!

claphamsa on untappd

Old 01-17-2008, 02:00 PM   #17
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Good deal, then! It's not so much that you're using extract, as you can actually get Pilsner malt extract. I used to even see Moravian extract on the market, but not in a while. It's more about the particular extract you're using, i.e., it ain't German or Czech malt.

Actually, now that you've said it, I could go for a "hoppy lagerish kinda thing," myself.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 01-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

With an all extract recipe and using prehopped extract (the can) there is no need to do an extended boil. If you are using a significant amount of grains or need a significant amount of bitterness from the hops a 60 min boil is recommended. Because you are adding extra extract in the form of DME you probably will want a little more hops bitterness to balance. You will not get the most efficient hops extraction from 30min but it should be pretty good. I still would save half the hops to add in the last 5min to get more hops flavor and aroma.
The brown sugar will add a slight molasses flavor, and increase the alcohol content resulting in a dryer beer. I don't think its appropriate in this light of a beer. Save it for some brown ales, porters or stouts.
The Cal lager is the California Steam Beer yeast. It prefers cooler ale temps and so is a good yeast for this time of year. It won't be a completely clean lager but will be close. Good choice to produce a lager like beer at ale temps.
This beer should be better than just following the directions on the can but I would not expect too much out of it. Its not a style I desire but if you want a light easy drinking beer your recipe should suffice.
Craig

Old 01-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #19
claphamsa

Recipes 

OK, brewing complete! I boiled in my can of mortons pilsner.... 2 Lbs of extra light DME. boiled for 5-10 min, added in 1OZ hop pellets. boiled 20 min... added another OZ of hope pellets... boiled 20 min, added in 3OZ fresh cascades.... cooled.

I then pored this fun into the fermenter with 1 more OZ fresh cascades and some yeast! yay go me!

Smelled absoulutly fabulous (everyone I lived with commented on how bad it smelled.)

claphamsa on untappd

Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 PM   #20
Winesburg Ale
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Boiling time and lagering

Just to check on a couple of things mentioned above:

1. It was mentioned that you boil for a certain time to get the "hot break" to settle out. I've been told, and it makes some sense, that when you're making an extract recipe, there is no hot break, because the extract has already gone through the whole boiling process. The hot break would have separated in the process of making the extract.
2. I've heard Chris Colby, with BYO magazine, say that using lager yeast at ale temperatures will result in a beer that, while not being as "clean" as one brewed with lager yeast at lager temps, will still result in a beer that is more towards a lager than something brewed with ale yeast, and will not suffer from any more off flavors than using an ale yeast.

My personal experience agrees with these notions, but I wanted to see what some of the more experienced brewers around here think.

Quick Reply