Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Kit arriving today!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2007, 05:32 PM   #1
Hardball
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kit arriving today!!!!!

I ordered a ESB kit from morebeer.com and it is supposed to arrive today! I have never made an ESB and it is my first online HBS kit order, so we will see how it goes.

I am going to try and brew this Thursday or Friday. Any suggestions on brewing ESB's or any head's up to look out for?

I ordered both the White Labs and dry yeast with this one. I plan to pitch both and see what comes out!

Secondary: Empty
Bottle Conditioning: Empty
Drinking: Commercial
RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2007, 05:35 PM   #2
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball
I ordered both the White Labs and dry yeast with this one. I plan to pitch both and see what comes out!
I don't understand why you'd do this.

Pitch the liquid yeast (using a starter, preferably), and then save the dry as a backup for some point in the future when you have a yeast mishap.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Since you are a few days ahead of the game - why not make a starter with the White Labs? If you have some spare extract hanging around you could get the starter going for a few days then pitch it friday or so when you do your wort. A lot of people don't do starters, but I think they are good thing to be exposed to - and you will notice kick-aZZ quick starts and vigorous primaries. Maybe this would be a good experiment for ya?? Either way, good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
Hardball
Recipes 

I have never tried a starter and don't have any DME to do one. I am going to pitch both to try and up my attenuation (I always miss my FG's). I may try a starter with my next brew.

RIP:English Special Bitter, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, IPA, American Wheat w/Raspberry Puree, Oatmeal Stout, Summit IPA

Old 01-16-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardball
I have never tried a starter and don't have any DME to do one. I am going to pitch both to try and up my attenuation (I always miss my FG's). I may try a starter with my next brew.
Pitching both is unlikely to improve your attenuation anyway. It's really just wasting the expense of buying liquid yeast.

When you say you always miss your FG--by how much? A point or two, or more than that?

Do you do partial boils and then add top-off water to make 5 gallons? If so, is it tap water, boiled tap water, bottled water, what? A common cause of poor attenuate is insufficiant areation of the wort.

Another possible culprit is fermentation temps--are you fermenting too cold for your yeast strain?

Anyway, I'd go ahead and pitch the liquid yeast without a starter this time if it were me.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 01-16-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't think pitching both yeasts is going to necessarily up your attenuation... more yeast does not necessarily mean better ferments. And who cares if you hit your final FG anyway? OGs and FGs are just estimates based on the fermentables and apparent yeast attenuation (and they are a way to measure ABV, etc.)...

They are not spot on measurements to how the brew should end. You could brew the same exact recipe 5 times and never hit the same FG. It all depends on how lively and healthy the yeast pitched was as well as a hundred other factors (OG, ferment temps, water quality used, aeration, etc.).

Either way, pitching two kinds of yeast is not the best way to 'try to hit your FG'.

Actually there is probably a risk (albeit slight) that the two strains of yeast will be at odds and inhibit the effectiveness of the other (by clinging to each other, fighting over the sugars, etc.). If you really want to get as close to your estimated FG as possible, just pitch a healthy starter of the liquid yeast and keep your fermentation temps in check the entire time (don't allow peaks and valleys that might inhibit it)...

You are free to do what you please, but mixing yeasts isn't always (rarely is actually; maybe in a trappist ale or something) the best approach to take.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:53 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

What did you buy for dry yeast? I've never had any problems (or heard of anyone having problems) with either Nottingham or Safale-56.

In addition to temperature, make sure you are aerating fully - that could cause your yeast to poop out too soon.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM   #8
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
What did you buy for dry yeast? I've never had any problems (or heard of anyone having problems) with either Nottingham or Safale-56.

In addition to temperature, make sure you are aerating fully - that could cause your yeast to poop out too soon.
I second this. Usually my nottingham or US-56 Safale attenuate to about 80%... usually better than my liquid yeasts I've used...

In any case, I stand by my original assertion, do not mix the yeasts...

Old 01-16-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Hardball
Recipes 

OK! OK!!

I will not mix the yeasts! I will use the White Labs and save the Dry Safale-56.

I do partial boils and top off with RO/Distilled water from Vons. I put them in the freezer and top off with those to bring the temp down quicker..

I bought a strainer for when I pour wort to primary and hopefully this will up my aeration (I use the dump and splash method to aerate).

Old 01-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

If you're not going to make a starter, use the US-56 - it doesn't need one. It's counterintuitive, but a small packet of dry yeast has closer to the optimal number of yeast cells than a vial of liquid yeast. I've been consistently getting fermenation started within 12 hours using plain ol' dry yeast, including US-56 this past weekend.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Quick Reply