Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Kettle too small for full boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
noladom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kettle too small for full boil

I have a 5 gallon kettle that I bought when I first started brewing and haven't upgraded yet. I have an American IPA recipe ready to go but my brew store owner recommended a boil volume of 6g for this 5 gallon batch. I have 6lbs DME and 2lbs grains. What's the best way to split this? Should I steep grains in a smaller pot and boil the extract in a larger batch? Should I do all grains and extract in say a 3.5 gallon batch then add water after? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

Quote:
Originally Posted by noladom View Post
I have a 5 gallon kettle that I bought when I first started brewing and haven't upgraded yet. I have an American IPA recipe ready to go but my brew store owner recommended a boil volume of 6g for this 5 gallon batch. I have 6lbs DME and 2lbs grains. What's the best way to split this? Should I steep grains in a smaller pot and boil the extract in a larger batch? Should I do all grains and extract in say a 3.5 gallon batch then add water after? Thanks.

Boil as much as you can, that's all you can do.

Steep the grains in your brewpot, remove them, and then add water to get you to your boil volume (3.5 gallons? a wee bit more?). Add half, or less, of the DME, and bring that to a boil. Proceed with hopping according to the recipe, and add the rest of the DME at flame out.

Try to boil as much as you can without boiling over. It's tough to do an IPA without a full boil, due to hops utilization limits. But boil as big as you can, and that will help a lot.

Cool the wort, and then top up to 5 gallons.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:20 AM   #3
Nova5
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Lowes, go buy a 10 gallon boil pot.

TransGalactic Brewing. 2012+
Old Dark Tower Brewery, Est 2009.
5gal Primary #1 :
5Gal Primary #2 Empty
MRB Primary #1 : Empty
MRB Primary #2 Empty
Carbed to Beery Goodness! - AHS Lando Cascadian Dark Ale - Brewed 10/28/12, Dry Hoppin 11/4/12, Bottled 11/10/12

Carbing - AHS Clone - Southhampton DoubleWhite - Brewed 11/11/12, Bottled 1/20/13

Old 04-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #4
DaNewf
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you have a second decent sized pot kicking around your home anywhere?

I do 5 gallon all grain batches using a 5 gallon pot I bought for doing mini-mash brews and my wife's 3 gallon soup/stock pot. You have to figure out how to divide your ingredients between the two pots and it requires a little more time/attention (cooling 2 pots/managing hot break and hop additions) than using a single pot but it's doable.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Terek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaNewf View Post
Do you have a second decent sized pot kicking around your home anywhere?

I do 5 gallon all grain batches using a 5 gallon pot I bought for doing mini-mash brews and my wife's 3 gallon soup/stock pot. You have to figure out how to divide your ingredients between the two pots and it requires a little more time/attention (cooling 2 pots/managing hot break and hop additions) than using a single pot but it's doable.
Lol. I do this every brew, but all grain. It's a lot easier all grain. Time for a new pot
"BEER....The cause of, and solution too, all of life's problems"

Old 04-16-2014, 01:46 AM   #6
noladom
Recipes 

I want the larger kettle just don't have the extra $75 in the budget just yet. Impatient so I didn't want to wait for the new kettle to brew this batch. I DO have a smaller pot so that's definitely an option. I believe I can manage 3.5 on the stove. It's a gas stove after all. I'm also looking at a Dark Star propane burner on Northernbrewer. 54,000 BTU. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations on that end? It's got lots of positive reviews and claims to bring a full 5 gallon batch to a boil in 15 minutes. Thanks guys (and girls)

Old 04-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
k1ngl1ves
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 189

I use a turkey fryer if I need a large pot.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 706 Times on 513 Posts
Likes Given: 420

It's time to upgrade to a larger volume kettle. If doing 5-gallon batches, I would recommend one that is 10-gallons in volume and at least has a ball valve installed.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #9
stretcheagle
Recipes 

I can do a full boil if I use a stock pot we have in addition to my usual kettle, but it's got a Teflon coating on the inside. Has anyone ever done that before? Is that ok? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #10
MindenMan
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Unless the surface temp of the pan exceeds 450* F, the Teflon is safe. I used to boil wort in Teflon. How much room do you have between the stove and the hood?
To get volume on the cheap, try and find a used turkey fryer setup. The pot is usually 30 quarts, and the burners are usually 50K BTU. I want to suggest, if you can afford a larger pot, get one. I recently did a full boil of a 1.080 ale, and the 40 quart pot I bought really wasn't enough for me to be comfortable with a 8+ gallon boil. I agree with the consensus of many others, buy a big(er) pot to start with, at least 60 quarts do do a full boil of a big beer. Granted, 1.080 is not a big beer by any standards, physics dictate, the more grain you have the more water you will need to sparge it, and 60 quarts seems overkill for most 5 gallon batches. have a 22 quart pot I mash in, and both a 30 or 40 quart pot depending on what beer I am going to brew. I got lucky, I bought two turkey fryer setups, brand new for $20.00 each. 30 quart pots, and 50K BTU burners were just the ticket. I paid $38.00 for my aluminum 40 quart pot w/o a spigot, and am still deciding if I will put one in or not.

Aging from last year: Hard Cider, Triple Chocolate Stout, American Amber II
First fermenter: American Mild
Second fermenter: Empty
Long term aging: Strong Scottish Ale, American Stout
3 new hard ciders, first is a Apple Raspberry, second will be a Apple Grape, and third Apple Cranberry. These will all become Jacked Ciders

Quick Reply