Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > kegged....man, I got some questions...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #21
Ol' Grog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Please forgive, master. I'm just a grasshopper and learning from your wisdom!!!!!! I read up on line lengths and all that, I just have a standard cobra tap that came with my kit and it was already put together. Hose is about 4 feet long and I know from the calculations that height and line size plays an important part of the resistance. It's not futile, you know????? Just trying to get an idea on keg pressures when I pop that puppy open this weekend.
OK, ya'll have convinced me to forgo the "shaking keg syndrome." Since I normally don't drink on weekdays anyway, one week of waiting and carbing at the specified psi is not going to be a problem. As noted earlier, I'm learning and soon all these dumbass questions will be a distant memory.
But, I really appreciate the advice and wisdom.
You guys just plain and simply

Last edited by Ol' Grog; 11-08-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2006, 01:45 PM   #22
dougjones31
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Come on man.......I am going to help you no matter how many questions you ask.

If you lived near me I would come over to your house and help you get your setup dialed in. But for now, this will have to do.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 PM   #23
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah Grog,

Too much 'shaking the keg' can cause blindness and hairy palms! Stay away from it if you can!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #24
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I appreciate that....
Hairy palms???? I thought they only way you'd get that is if you'd pull your pants down and...........never mind....ha ha ha ha....

Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #25
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I had a really hard time figuring out what size hose and all of that when I looked at the charts. Luckily, Johnsma on this board gave me the easy solution.

For dispensing, order about 9 feet of 3/16ths hose per keg, set PSI at what you want. 12 lbs is a good number. Dispense. If you want more foam, but are happy with the carbonation, shorten the hose a foot at a time. the hose length and diameter affects foam, the pressure affects carbonation. Adjust accordingly.

I asked my father in law about the fridge and he was going to check, but I've not heard back yet.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,

Old 11-08-2006, 06:07 PM   #26
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks. Getting itchy. I know I'm going to have to make a "shopping run" to OKC with the wife here pretty soon. Somehow, I just know that I'll be going by a Best Buy just to "look" at a Sanyo 4912. You know what that will mean....."What am I going to get for Christmas from you, honey??"

Old 11-08-2006, 06:12 PM   #27
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Grog
"What am I going to get for Christmas from you, honey??"
"How would you like to go away for a weekend by yourself to an all-inclusive spa?"

Then you get the whole weekend to brew!
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #28
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Nah, my wife knows me toooo well. She'd think I'd have naked girls and stuff over at the house.....probably right!!!! (I wish)

Old 11-09-2006, 12:18 AM   #29
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Before I hooked my kegs up to taps I just had cobra taps. I still use them when I transport the keg to a remote beer drinking location such as a pig pickin'. The procedure to use is to carbonate your beer at whatever psi is appropriate, say 12 psi. When you get ready to dispense you need to turn the pressure on your regulator way down (probably in the 2-5psi range), blow off some pressure from the blowoff valve, and then serve beer. After a drinking session you can just turn the pressure back up to 12 (or wherever you had it).

You don't have to worry about beer backing up when you reduce the pressure because the gas "in" dip tube should not be in the wort...it should be above wort level.

It's certainly much easier when you move to true beer taps and balance the system with the proper length of line.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 AM   #30
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
Before I hooked my kegs up to taps I just had cobra taps. I still use them when I transport the keg to a remote beer drinking location such as a pig pickin'. The procedure to use is to carbonate your beer at whatever psi is appropriate, say 12 psi. When you get ready to dispense you need to turn the pressure on your regulator way down (probably in the 2-5psi range), blow off some pressure from the blowoff valve, and then serve beer. After a drinking session you can just turn the pressure back up to 12 (or wherever you had it).

You don't have to worry about beer backing up when you reduce the pressure because the gas "in" dip tube should not be in the wort...it should be above wort level.

It's certainly much easier when you move to true beer taps and balance the system with the proper length of line.
Good lord, too much work again complicating something so simple.

Figure out what pressure you need to carbonate to the Volumes of CO2 you want at XX temperature (consult the table). Then just set it and forget it. You don't need to bother with turning down the pressure to serve and hope you remember to turn the pressure back up afterwards.

Just figure out the right pressure (takes about two seconds using the charts), set the regulator, hook it up and THAT'S IT.

Quick Reply