Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > just brewed the midwest supplies pumpkin ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Wheatmeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used the American ale Wyeast Activator 1056, made a starter a few days ahead of time cause of all the extra fermentables

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wheatmeister, not sure if you mentioned this but what was your boil size? I can only do partial boils right now in my 5 gallon pot so I can probably get away with max 3 gallons.

Also, the recipe calls for 30 oz of canned pumpkin for a more robust flavor, although I've read even this much pumpkin produces a very subtle pumpkin flavor. 120 oz seems like a lot though. Wondering if I should go somewhere inbetween or if 120 oz is the best way to go.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #23
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I boiled all 5 gals, just boil 3 if thats all you can get in. I would just really recommend not boiling all of the malt, to prevent over carmalization, which has given so many of my extract brews a flavor I wasnt real excited about. As far as the pumkin goes, you're call. I don't think there's a wrong amount, just depends on how prevalent you want it to be in the taste. In the past, i've noticed NOT being able to even recognize the pumkin in the flavor profile using 30oz, and not too strong of one with 90oz(which seemed like alot), etc...that's why i went all out with the 120oz. If 120 seems too much for you just go with 60 or 90oz.

Let me know how it goes..

Old 07-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #24
kyle6286
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatmeister
I boiled all 5 gals, just boil 3 if thats all you can get in. I would just really recommend not boiling all of the malt, to prevent over carmalization, which has given so many of my extract brews a flavor I wasnt real excited about. As far as the pumkin goes, you're call. I don't think there's a wrong amount, just depends on how prevalent you want it to be in the taste. In the past, i've noticed NOT being able to even recognize the pumkin in the flavor profile using 30oz, and not too strong of one with 90oz(which seemed like alot), etc...that's why i went all out with the 120oz. If 120 seems too much for you just go with 60 or 90oz.

Let me know how it goes..
Ok thank you. So you didn't even boil all 6 lbs of the malt extract?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

nope, alot of people don't in order to minimize really earthy carmalized malt flavors. It also keeps the beer lighter in color of you care how it looks in the glass. I put in 25% of the malt, then add the remaining 75% with about 5 mins left on the boil, some ppl put the remainder in at flameout. If you google late extract method you should get some good hits. If this is your first pumkin or you havent brewed much before, it may be esier to just put all the malt in at the beginning of the boil man, i dont think it'll ruin the beer or anything, just helps it IMO..

Old 07-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #26
V1king
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Where do you get pumpkin at this time of the year?

Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Libbey's canned pumkin is the best. Kroger, Giant Eagle, Walmart, etc...any grocer should have it.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #28
V1king
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

OK, here's a question you porbably can't answer but I'll ask anyway. How much of a difference do you think the honey makes? My last couple of batches had honey, and I am starting to tire of the taste. If you think it makes a big difference, though, I will be glad to include it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #29
Wheatmeister
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It's really not that prevalent in the flavor honestly, i assume because of all the other big flavors(pumkin, cinnamon, vanilla,) mask it. I don't think it would make a huge difference either way from a taste standpoint. From an ABV standpoint it'll make a difference though, just that many more fermentables and ends in a stronger beer.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #30
Artemisag
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Wheatmeister, can I also get the slide show? I'm brewing this midweek. Going 120 oz pumpkin.

Quick Reply