Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > just add water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #1
craiginho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default just add water?

fermented my IPA in a 7 gal. carboy that apparently I had marked a little shy of 5 gallons. I transfered to a 5 gallon 2ndary are saw it was shy by quite a bit. Starting gravity was 1.050 and currently it is 1.012. Can I top it off with water to reach the 5 gallon mark before I pitch the yeast, or is that a bad idea?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

BEFORE you pitch the yeast? What got it down to 1.012? Are you talking about future batches? If so, you can do that but understand that your gravity will be lower and will make for a weaker beer. You'll dilute flavor as well. It depends on what you're aiming for. A nice session beer might be okay, but a heavier stout would suffer.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

i'm confused...you already pitched the yeast when you put it in the fermentor. You don't re pitch yeast when you put it into the secondary.

If it's already fermented I wouldn't dilute it with anymore water....I'd just enjoy the beer you have when it's ready.

If you haven't yet, I suggest you read http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
craiginho
Recipes 

sorry, my bad. instead of pitch the yeast, i meant to say add the priming sugar. yes, it's already fermented. i'll just keep it as is and see what it gets me.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:39 AM   #5
Rick_R
Still Love Fried Chicken

Recipes 

I did the same with my first batch. For future batches you can start with a larger volume; aim for a 5.5 gallon batch at the start, and end up with five gallons going into the secondary.

Rick

Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2762 Times on 2713 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I just bottled my first batch. Added water to make 5 gallons into primary, fermented, then dry hopped with an oz of cascade for 2 weeks. I got a little over 3.5 gallons actually bottled after leaving trub in primary and then leaving all the crud from the dry hopping not to mention what the whole leaf hops had soaked up. Basically what I'm saying it don't expect to boil 5 gallons and bottle 5 gallons.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply