Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Juniper Flavor?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #1
jcarson83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

Default Juniper Flavor?

I brewed up a 2 gallon extract the other day with 2 lbs of Dark DME and some amarillo hops (.55oz). Added the extract, brought to a boil and added hops. Boiled for 15 minutes then cooled in the sink with cold water for about 20 minutes until it got down to 70F. Then I racked it on top of a yeast cake that I had just racked a pale ale off of a few minutes earlier (Wyeast 1056). Tasted good with a juniper flavor and my wife thought so as well. I just racked to secondary today and it still has that flavor. My question is, is that the amarillo hops? Any other ideas? I would attribute it to the yeast and hops from the previous batch but we tasted it before it was added.

I've been wanting to try using the yeast a second time and it turned out very well, even for a extract batch and simple recipe. I like doing the all grain but extract is so much easier.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2006, 09:42 AM   #2
Ellie-ut
Recipes 

amarillo is more citrusy flavored, some say orange or lemon. Juniper? hmmmm....could be your water interacting with the hops flavor maybe? You should brew up a second batch and see if you get the same thing, unless of course you dont like it....in which case be glad you only did 2 gallons!

Old 12-24-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts

No I like it. I think I'm going to make a habit of doing a small batch like that when a rack a AG to secondary. I hate wasting all that good yeast and I'm not comfortable with culturing it yet. Next time I think I'll use light DME though. I just had that dark left in the cabinet for bringing the AG up to the gravity I want.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Amarillo hops have a distinctly different flavor than any other hop I've tasted. It could just be me and my perceptions but I tasted it too and I want to experiment more with them. It seems to me that they could easily overpower certain types of brews, but I get what you mean about the juniper flavor...that, or something unusual and very tasty.

Quick Reply